Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7800GS in a MDD G4

Since apparently no one wanted to reply to my continuing problem after I falsely marked it as Solved, then I'm making a new thread. I'm still having problems with the 7800GS in my MDD Mac.

Here is my problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3814896?answerId=17991808022#17991808022

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), PowerMac G4 MDD, BFG 7800GS

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:07 PM

18 replies

Mar 30, 2012 1:26 AM in response to NekoCahlan

I responded... guess that I'm a no one.

Your problem is that you are missing a step.

When you replace the kext you must take care to do it properly or it won't work.

You had the issue solved once.

I don't see that Virtual PC has anything to do with the kext issue.

Incompatibility, maybe, but throwing Virtual PC into the mix changes the entire complexion/ is a seperate issue.

Step back, get the system running again. Make a clone of the working system, THEN try and hack away with other softwares.

Mar 30, 2012 8:41 AM in response to japamac

So after doing a fresh install of Leopard, updating it , and backing it up, do I do these commands before or after editing the kexts?

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/any.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/any.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Kind of stumped here. I did exactly what I did the first time it worked and now it doesn't work... Also, you are not no one, I was just upset that everyone else's questions were being answered as mine wasn't.

Mar 30, 2012 2:31 PM in response to NekoCahlan

The commands are for after replacing the kext.

First, using a copy of the kext, modify it.

Follow the instructions for Placing and Rebuilding cache here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Kext

The noted software utilities won't work, as they are for Intel, but the Terminal commands will work.

Kind of stumped here. I did exactly what I did the first time it worked and now it doesn't work...

I know the feeling, but it just means that you are forgetting one tiny thing that you did the first time. Can't say what, but....

Mar 30, 2012 6:36 PM in response to japamac

Still doesn't work 😟

Here is what I did:

• Installed Mac OSX 10.5 fresh on an erased drive, deselected everything besides X11. Reboot.
  • Installed XCode upon bootup from the Leopard DVD.
  • Updated to 10.5.8 and updated everything Software Update found. Reboot and repeat until no more updates.
  • Copied hard drive to a seperate drive via SuperDuper. Reboot and removed backup drive.
  • Went to Extensions folder and copied "NVDANV40HalPPC.kext" and "NVDAResmanPPC.kext" to the desktop.
  • Opened each kext's Info.plist with Property List Editor (Xcode) and added 00f510de to the PCI Match so it looked like the others listed. Saved and closed.

Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv NVDANV40HalPPC.kext NVDANV40HalPPC.old
mv NVDAResmanPPC.kext NVDAResmanPPC.old
cd Users/USERNAME/Deskop
cp -R NVDANV40HalPPC.kext /System/Library/Extensions
cp -R NVDAResmanPPC.kext /System/Library/Extensions
cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 NVDANV40HalPPC.kext
chown -R 0:0 NVDANV40HalPPC.kext
chmod -R 755 NVDAResmanPPC.kext
chown -R 0:0 NVDAResmanPPC.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
(Some of these needed sudo)

Rebooted and installed the 7800GS

I was greeted by the same blue screen with a movable mouse. Help? What went wrong...?

Mar 31, 2012 11:51 AM in response to japamac

Safe mode works. Reflashed with both the OC'ed firmware with the sensor and a non sensor rom. No difference. Blue screen with mouse.

And I did remove the AppleHWSensor.kext. Nope.

Could you maybe, send me a zip containing your QS kexts? Since you have the same card as me? Maybe that will work. That would rule out a bad edit of the kexts I suppose.

7800GS in a MDD G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.