Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and paste does not work in the piano roll, what gives?

Folks,

I am simply highlighting 16 midi notes copying them and trying to paste my copied notes in the next bar. It doesn't work.

What gives?

Thanks,

Santana

9.1.7 logic pro

Mac Mini

2.26 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

OS 10.6.8

User uploaded file

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:43 AM

And alt-dragging?

test this: does cmd-c cmd-v work in, let's say, texteditor?

If not, reboot your Mac. If it does, continue:

close the pianoroll and reopen it.

problem persists? then:

close & save the session en reopen it.

problem persists? then:

quit Logic and restart it.

problem persists? then:

reboot your Mac.

problem persists? then:

reinstall OS X.

problem persists? then:

Have a drink.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2012 2:43 AM in response to Santana69

And alt-dragging?

test this: does cmd-c cmd-v work in, let's say, texteditor?

If not, reboot your Mac. If it does, continue:

close the pianoroll and reopen it.

problem persists? then:

close & save the session en reopen it.

problem persists? then:

quit Logic and restart it.

problem persists? then:

reboot your Mac.

problem persists? then:

reinstall OS X.

problem persists? then:

Have a drink.

Mar 31, 2012 12:25 PM in response to Santana69

LOL

I appreciate the time to try and help me figure this out.

Clearly those steps have not worked. I tried them all.

The CMD-C and CMD-V work in a text editor and not in Logic.

No go.

I will wait for any new responses. I am no re-installing logic or the OS for this fundamental operation.

I will opt to buy another DAW come upgrade time if a patch is not sent to fix this. I am checking out Cubase now becuase of this very incident.

Thanks,

Santana

Mar 31, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Santana69

Santana69 wrote:

LOL

I appreciate the time to try and help me figure this out.

Clearly those steps have not worked. I tried them all.

The CMD-C and CMD-V work in a text editor and not in Logic.

No go.

I will wait for any new responses. I am no re-installing logic or the OS for this fundamental operation.

I will opt to buy another DAW come upgrade time if a patch is not sent to fix this. I am checking out Cubase now becuase of this very incident.

Thanks,

Santana

Of course buying different software when something malfunctions in a way it very, very rarely if ever malfunctions for any other user, well, makes complete sense. What also makes complete sense, is your impressive threat to go all Cubase on poor defenseless Apple - I imagine they are in a scared cold sweat creating the patch you so forcefully demanded.

Please do keep in mind that we are all users here, I (and everybody else here, afaik) am not representing Apple or Logic in any way, and these sort of threats, well, they do come across as pretty infantile, because they're rather silly. You won't get a patch, because you very, very probably don't need one.

Apr 2, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Santana69

Both ways of copying work fine here. What happens when you option drag the notes, they just don't appear in the new position, just stay in the original spot? Try using copy/paste from the menu as well, that way you can also make sure they're not greyed out.

I'd agree with Erik, nobody else is having the problem so it's probably not a bug to be fixed but something corrupt on your machine (assuming it's not something like a weird custom key command). May need a reinstall of Logic or the OS or some similar fix, I'd start with the basic usual mac diagnostics, trash the prefs etc.

Apr 8, 2012 8:10 PM in response to Mike Connelly

Mike,

I'm not going to address Erik as I was not threatening anyone person or apple. I purchased Logic they got there money. I've been happy, but when midi copy and paste is broken, come on. Anyway. I've been using Logic for years since 1998. We should not have to re-install an app to fix things, especially for a simple copy and paste function. I've been a developer on Class 5 telecom systems for years, de-installing and re-installing the application is not an answer and should not be an option. If I am having this issue I am sure others are and may not be reporting it or are actually inadvertently applying a workaround as you describe temporarily resolving the issue. Trashing prefs, and re-installing an OS or the app is pretty outragous and not an option for me. I will see what Apple says. The latest patch they deployed had a copy and paste fix in the midi environment, ironically, however it did not resolve my issue. I will pursue sparking a case with apple to see if they know of the issue and got something brewing in the development pipeline.

Thank you for your time in responding,

Santana

Apr 9, 2012 2:41 AM in response to Santana69

Woahhhh... that's English for hold your horses.

Santana, this feature absolutely works fine... there's clearly something you're doing that isn't right (the post you link to is also not the same issue by the looks of it). I agree reinstalling etc is no solution, but I think you need to approach this methodically (in a new project perhaps)...

I'd suggest you need to make sure that when you open the Piano Roll that you actually have the Piano Roll window selected (a white line border should appear round it). The one downside to Logics all-in-one window arrangement is that it's often difficult to tell which window is active. It could well be that you have the arrange page selected and copy & paste of MIDI notes in a region will not work as you described.

If this doesn't work, perhaps post a video of you performing the operation and we can see what you're doing wrong. I don't think this is corruption or preferences... but human error I'd imagine. This function works fine in Logic and has done for as long as I've known it (17+ years).

Apr 9, 2012 7:45 AM in response to Santana69

Working fine here with 9.1.7 on 10.6.8 (and I'll bet 10.7 as well). Still sounds like a problem unique to one machine.

Santana69 wrote:

I am sure others are and may not be reporting it

Considering not a single person has reported it, I wouldn't count on it.

It's no fun to reinstall an OS or app but if either is corrupted that may be the only way to fix it, like it or not. Data on hard drives can get corrupted, it's a fact of life and can happen with any OS or app. If you're not even willing to try trashing the prefs (which takes seconds to do) or similar basic troubleshooting steps, you're probably not going to get it fixed.

Apr 9, 2012 9:25 PM in response to siderealxxx

SideReal, Mike, Pancenter,

Thanks for the resposnes, I really appreciate it.

Something changed in my system, cause its working on and off now. What I did do was save the project and only after saving the project did it start working. No other explanation really. I've been using this for years. There is somethign not right in my system most likely.I've got hundreds of projects already in the system with this latest install on my Mini.

One last question to see if this will get to work all the time now;

How does one blow away prefs?

Thank you,

Santana

Apr 9, 2012 11:34 PM in response to Santana69

This support article covers deleting preferences as well as a few other troubleshooting techniques...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2375

However, are you starting projects using a template you've created using an older version of Logic, say Logic 8 or an early version of Logic 9?

If so, I'd try rebuilding the template from scratch in the version of Logic you're now using.

Thinking about it a bit, it sounds like a corrupted project.

I'm guessing if you use any of Logic's built in templates or create a quick one from scratch you will not have the paste problem.

Copy and paste does not work in the piano roll, what gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.