Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad in iTunes: No library found - New Library?

I upgraded to OSX 10.7 recently. I didn't reinstall my iTunes Library from my last back up. I plugged in my iPad. It said it was synced with another computer.

I'd like to create a new Library on this computer. But when I click Sync Apps it says:

Are you sure you want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPad “XYZ iPad” will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library.

I don't want it to erase all the apps on my iPad (or rearrange them). This has happened to me several times before by accident! Is there anything I can do?

• Can I Sync and start a new Library without losing my apps?
  • Can I back up to iCloud so I can pull all this from the cloud no matter what computer I'm on?
  • Can I just transfer a file (which one) from my last back up?

Thanks for all the help. Spent 20 mins googling it and 20 mins on these forums and can't seem to find the answers.

A

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 6:12 AM

6 replies

Mar 30, 2012 6:15 AM in response to anthonymfontana

I just found my own answer to one of those options.

I couldn't find out how to log into my account in iTunes (not in Preferences?!) so I went to the store and downloaded a free app and it asked for my ID. Once logged in all my apps started to download. I think I can now sync.

If you have answers to those other questions (or links) it might be helpful to post here since I had a hard time finding them elsewhere.

Mar 30, 2012 6:21 AM in response to anthonymfontana

Yes you can create a new library on the computer and the instructions below explain it.

Yes you can backup with iCloud if you prefer to use it, that is what now makes iPads PC free. You may want to do a little research on iCloud before you rely on that.

If you restore from a backup - it is all or nothing - you cannot select just one file or setting.

If you want to transfer the purchased content on the iPad into a new iTunes library ......

The following was copied from this thread. This is essentially what you want to accomplish.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2431472

1) Without connecting your iPad to your computer, start iTunes. Click on iTunes. Click on Preferences. Click on Devices. Check the box next to "Prevent your iPod etc. from automatically syncing." Click OK.

2) Now connect your iPad to your computer and start iTunes.

3) When iTunes starts, right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select Transfer purchases etc.

4) After it finishes transferring all your apps to your computer, right click on your iPad and select Backup your iPad.

5) After it finishes backing up your iPad, right click on your iPad and select Restore etc.

6) After it finishes restoring, left click on your iPad , then click on the Apps tab on top, and check the box next to Sync Apps, then click on Apply below.

If everything on your iPad looks good after the sync, go back and click on iTunes / Preferences / Devices and UN-check the box next to Prevent your iPod etc. The only other thing you may want to check is if your contacts, bookmarks, etc. are syncing correctly now. If not, go to the Info tab after connecting and make sure you indicate which features you want to sync with what sources.

Read this thread and the support links as well. There are apps that you can purchase that will allow you to transfer photos from the iPad to your PC. Look at Photo Transfer App in the App store and you can search for others as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2739253

This support site will help you with transferring iTunes music to your new computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Mar 30, 2012 6:22 AM in response to anthonymfontana

Ok not entirely true. If I try to Sync now it's going to ultimately rearrange my library and I have no idea what apps will be missing.

When I click the Sync button and say yes to replacing all the apps with my library it shows that the screens will totallly be rearranged. Hitting the Revert button keeps it as is.

I'd like to back up my iPad?! Why is this so hard?

Mar 30, 2012 8:36 AM in response to anthonymfontana

No matter what you think should happen or what Apple states will happen, there is no guarantee that your folder structure will be maintained when you sync - under these circumstances.

I'm not trying to a wise azz either, I'm just stating what I have seen over the last couple years. In an ideal world it should work - again - not trying to be jerk - but it doesn't always work that way.

Many users are just thrilled to death to know that there is a way to transfer the iPad contents to a new library - if they weren't smart enough to backup the old library in the first place - and will deal with the consequences of having to arrange their apps again.

iPad in iTunes: No library found - New Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.