Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rebuild my iphoto albums from backup files?

Hi There.

I'm having some trouble and have been doing some research online about it, but still haven't found quite the answer I'm getting at. I'm wondering if this forum can help. I'm restoring data using backup files from a computer that has been destroyed.

I would like to restore my album data into iphoto'11. The former computer had an earlier version of iphoto (I'm not sure which but quite possibly as old as 2008)

I imported the photos using the import to library function in iphoto, but it didn't import the album info along with it and didn't allow me to select the library.data list, which if I understand correctly, is the file that contains the info for how the albums are sorted.

For itunes and mail, I was able to restore my playlists and folders by manually transferring the list files into the approriate corresponding support folders for those programs, but iphoto prevents access to these. I can see these types of files in my backup, but cannot manually place any such files into iphoto'11. (or at least if I can, I haven't figured out how to.)

The backup files are not in time machine (one solution I saw seemed to rely on restoring data from within time machine).

Of course, since the former computer was destroyed, I can't export anything from the former iphoto program.

My questions are: is it possible to restore my albums and if so, how? and will iphoto'11 be able to understand the library.data info from the earlier, possibly 2008 iphoto?

Thank you for your help with this.

Kim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 10:33 AM

Do you have an iPhoto Library from the old machine? If you have then simply open it - there's no importing involved.

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

If you don't have an actual library there is no way to do what you want.

Regards

TD

2 replies

How do I rebuild my iphoto albums from backup files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.