Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create an iCloud account on my PC?

I have downloaded iCloud to my PC, how do I create an iCloud account? I have tried to use my apple ID that I have for iTunes but it says it's a valid apple ID but can't be used with iCloud, and again no option to create an account. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 7:58 PM

81 replies

Apr 2, 2012 11:44 AM in response to freakkk

I have the same problem. Since moving from MobileMe, I usually view my iCloud email via a Windows web browser (I haven't got Outlook installed anywhere).

Today when I tried to log in it suddenly tells me that I have to have the iCloud control panel set up on an iOS or OSX device (which I already did on this computer when I moved from MobileMe).

When I tried to log in to the iCloud control panel (on my PC), I got the message "this is a valid Apple ID but it is not an iCloud account". Strange, because i do have an iCloud account and my log-in information was the same as always.

Does this mean it is no longer possible to access iCloud without an iPad, iPhone or whatever?

Sounds like some kind of Mac trying to force me to buy an over-priced dinasaur telephone like an iPhone or a useless expensive toy like an iPad.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Apr 2, 2012 1:49 PM in response to Kappy

For what purpose is my point?

To create an iCloud account they clearly need an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with iOS 5, or a Mac with OS X Lion v10.7. A windows user that doesn't have an iOS device just doesn't really have any benefit for using iCloud (unless they were planning on getting one eventually..)

Apr 3, 2012 4:37 AM in response to freakkk

The reason why I have an iCloud account is because I used to have a MacBook Pro (until it all broke, something to do with poor, suicidal, slave-driven Chinese workers I guess).

So years ago I opened an email account with Apple, which subsequently became MobileMe and is now iCloud.

As my .mac/.me address is also my freelance work emial, I can't change it otherwise I risk losing clients. So I'm stuck with the email address even though I have absolutely no use of iCloud functions.

If iCloud is exclusive to Mac hardware users, it sounds like a massive step backwards of more than 10 years to when PC and Apple were completely separate and incompatible worlds.

The problem remains the fact that even though I have an iCloud account set up, and also have iCloud control panel installed, I cannot log in using my Apple ID as it says it is not an iCloud account. How does that make sense?!

I was on Express Lane last night in a chat with Apple assistance and they couldn't work it out either. It seems that Apple really haven't thought this through very well. I've already set up a Gmail account which seems to work a whole lot better and also keeps everything synced in more or less the same way.

As a client who paid nearly 100 dollars a year for many years on MobileMe, I feel really abandoned by Apple who seem to want to oblige me to buy more of their products to continue using their email service.

Jun 21, 2012 12:43 PM in response to the6millionliraman

It's no possible to create an Apple ID from iCloud from PC Computers, you can only create a new Apple ID on iCloud using a Mac with OSX Lion.

You can go to your device and select Adjust>iCloud>Create a Free Account to be able to create a free ID with @me server...

Hope I've helped you to solve the product, anything you can just talk personality to me.

iMessage: dudualmeida@me.com

FaceTime: dudualmeida@me.com

Jul 12, 2012 2:36 AM in response to freakkk

If you have an office with several iMacs, an iCloud account is great for sharing calendars, contacts, etc. Once Mountain Lion is out, docs will be updated the same way, so it's not pointless without IOS devices, just maybe not useful to your good self. There are others out there doing things differently - crazy, I know - so maybe try helping them rather than tell them what they're doing is pointless, just because you do not understand.

Sep 22, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Csound1

I appreciate your opinion. However I would say that "entirely inappropriate" is a bit strong; I know of many businesses getting on fine with this system now. I'm sure you know of businesses of a much larger structure, and for them it would be, I imagine, the wrong way to go. That said - I think a blanket "entirely inappropriate" is a bit of a general statement with - as far as I can read - nothing to back it up.

Still, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sep 22, 2012 7:27 AM in response to David Goodall

David Goodall wrote:

I appreciate your opinion. However I would say that "entirely inappropriate" is a bit strong; I know of many businesses getting on fine with this system now. I'm sure you know of businesses of a much larger structure, and for them it would be, I imagine, the wrong way to go. That said - I think a blanket "entirely inappropriate" is a bit of a general statement with - as far as I can read - nothing to back it up.

Still, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

This (see below) is what you agree to when using iCloud and all other free systems I have looked at, read it.

APPLE DOES NOT GUARANTEE, REPRESENT, OR WARRANT THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, AND YOU AGREE THAT FROM TIME TO TIME APPLE MAY REMOVE THE SERVICE FOR INDEFINITE PERIODS OF TIME, OR CANCEL THE SERVICE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. APPLE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN PARTICULAR, APPLE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (I) THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (II) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE TIMELY, UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; (III) ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU AS A RESULT OF THE SERVICE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; AND (IV) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED TO YOU AS PART OF THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED.

APPLE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE FREE FROM LOSS, CORRUPTION, ATTACK, VIRUSES, INTERFERENCE, HACKING, OR OTHER SECURITY INTRUSION, AND APPLE DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY RELATING THERETO.

I prefer to pay for a system that does what I want, has a reasonable guarantee of running most of the time, has a retention policy for when it is not and has telephone support rather than a user forum. Your needs may be lesser, but I doubt it.

Sep 22, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Csound1

Again - it really depends what you want it for. The businesses I know of use it to share calendars, notes and contacts between a few computers. They do not use it for documents etc. I use it here, and it suits my needs, but I only "need" my portables to have the same info as back at base, and the base info to get updated with anything I add while away.

I agree it would not work for companies with greater needs. In terms of interruptions, on the rare occasions my broadband has gone down, it certainly has NOT been a quick fix dealing with BT! However, I get your pointm, but like I said - it's fine for my needs and fine for a few other businesses I know.

Horses for courses.

:-)

How do I create an iCloud account on my PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.