Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I tell aperture which library to load at startup

Hi

my library is getting too big and wondered if i could split up my libraries in an intelligent way.

Is there a way to tell aperture which library to load? Can I switch libraries without having to restart aperture and withour having to import the library? Can I setup something like a profile in aperture which I can load giving me a choice of libraries to be loaded?

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 12:53 AM

4 replies

Mar 31, 2012 1:06 AM in response to MAWA

What is your Aperture version?

In Aperture 3 you can switch between Libraries from the File menu:

File -> Switch to Library

This will show you a list of the Aperture Libraries on the currently mounted volumes.

On start-up Aperture will by default open the Library that was last used. You can select a different library during start-up by double clicking that library in the Finder or by holding down the option key while you double click the Aperture icon in the Dock or in the Finder.

But I am not convinced that splitting your library is the best option for you. Split libraries always are a second best solution, for you can never search all your images at once. If you describe us your current set-up in more detail, we may be able to recommend to you a better workflow based on referenced masters.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 31, 2012 4:16 AM in response to MAWA

My largest Managed Library is 989 GB in size and has over 60,000 images, mostly captured as RAW. It is working the same as tiny test libraries. This library is on a drive separate from my boot volume, and in a volume that is 1.4 TB in size.

The only reason to split would be for total space issues, and to allow splitting between disk drives.

Ernie

Mar 31, 2012 7:37 AM in response to léonie

Well I have a library of about 180.000 images:

• All current images (2 months old at the most) are in the library.
  • After two months the images are all referenced i.e. I change their location using aperture.
  • These are also split in older and newer images. The newer images are on external S-ATA Disks. The older images are on a USB 2.0 external Hard disk.
  • The library is on an internal HDD 2 1TB striped to a single HDD.
  • All images are also saved on an external NAS at import.
  • I always keep aperture updated to the latest version my current version is 3.23 and latest camera raw.

My Hardware is a Macpro 2,66 Quad Core intel Xeon and 12 GB ram.

I had asked earlier if it would not be possible to have some kind of server aperturte setup to keep all the libraries ready for search in a client aperture! But aperture is not intended fo that -- that was the answer!

Mar 31, 2012 7:52 AM in response to MAWA

Well, that is certainly an impressive Aperture Library size. And if you already reference most of your master images there is not much you can do to save more space. Perhaps you can reduce the size or quality of your Previews a little bit or remove the previews altogether for those images that are currently not needed?

Can I tell aperture which library to load at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.