Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i play .mov files

Hi

I suspect that this has been asked before, but how do I now play .mov files. I created some movies a few years ago for teaching purposes and need to use them again. However, neither iMovie nor Quicktime seem to recognise/support the .mov format.

Any help would be much appreciated

Don

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Internal memory

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 3:05 AM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2012 6:11 AM in response to DonBx

I suspect that this has been asked before, but how do I now play .mov files. I created some movies a few years ago for teaching purposes and need to use them again. However, neither iMovie nor Quicktime seem to recognise/support the .mov format.

MOV is not a compression format. MOV files are any audio/video compressed movies placed in the generic MOV file container. In order to play the files your system must be configuraed with the same audio and/or video codec components originally used to compress/encode the data.

User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2012 9:01 AM in response to Jon Walker

Hi Jon

Thank you for your reply. In practical terms, what does this mean I should do next? I don't mind doing some legwork, but I don't know where to start with this.

I have tried opening the files using my old white iMac (on which they were created) but Quicktime, etc, don't play the files (possibly the programmes have been updated since they were created). Are you saying that there are settings that I can adjust to let current versions of Quicktime/iMovie/iTunes play the files, or do I need to use another programme to convert the files into a current form that will be recognisable to current standards?

Thanks

Don

Mar 31, 2012 9:45 AM in response to DonBx

Hi

I have found a commercial product to convert the files. The trial version confirmed that it worked so I have made a purchase. Perhaps Apple have a means by which to do this for free, but it is not obvious from searching. Other threads seem to imply similar problems with the change over to Lion - so much for backwards compatibility. Anyway, if anyone wants to fine a commercial solution, search for video converters.

Don

Mar 31, 2012 10:27 AM in response to DonBx

Are you saying that there are settings that I can adjust to let current versions of Quicktime/iMovie/iTunes play the files, or do I need to use another programme to convert the files into a current form that will be recognisable to current standards?

I am saying that we have no idea what codec components were used to create the original files. (I.e., the MOV file container is like a bottle, can, cup, glass, or other container that can be filled with any liquid, solid, or gas that can be fit into it.) For instance, if were created as Windows Media Video files and copied to an MOV file container, then you would need Flip4Mac components installed on your system. If they were created using DivX, XviD, 4IVX or similar codecs, then you would need to update those codecs or remove them and install the Perian codec package. MOV files containing muxed MPEG-2 video would require installation if the Apple QT MPEG-2 Playback component. FLV content in an MOV file container could be played with the Perian package installed. If the files were created using one of FCP "Pro" components, then those same codecs must be installed on the platform on which you wish to play the files now. And so on down the line of "legacy" and third-party codec compression formats which may or may not be spported by the latest versions of QT which tend to concentrate on newer technologies that support HD compression formats.

What I am saying is that without knowing what codec components were used to create the original file, it is impossible to tell whether you simply need to install currently available components that will allow you to play the files in the QT X, QT 7, use a third-party player like VLC for playback, or whether you would have to re-compress the files that target codecs no longer available for current hardware/software system configurations. Further, I am saying that the first step in solving a playback problem is to clearly define the specific problem in terms of the file container, compression format(s) involved, data characteristics as specified by Inspector, Media, Finder, or third-party utility windows or providing a sample file for analysis if you cannot determine this information on your own.

User uploaded file

How do i play .mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.