Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting feature film - best quality?

What would be the best quality to export my feature film.

It is approx 140mins long, was shot in HDV in 1080i50, 25fps.

What settings should I choose? Should I use quicktime conversion and use something like the Apple Intermediate Codec? What about ProRes (dont really understand the different numbers for prores) I would like it to be 16:9 I think and the best quality possible. I have tried exporting parts of it before and when playing it from a dvd, there is lines of the tv screen - I assume from interlacing issues? What export would clear this up? Or how do I get rid of it? If I did get rid of it for DVDs would it affect the look when running from a harddrive?

I would like to run it from a hard drive for the screenings, but would also like to put it on a dvd via iDVD

Any ideas?

Also, I have noticed the credits are shaking and jiggling as they scroll. I used the Alex4D credit generator. Would this be fixed in export or do I need to do something about that first?

iMac

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 5:27 AM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2012 6:38 AM in response to pianoman26011993

>What would be the best quality to export my feature film

The best way to export depends entirely on your delivery method. There is no single export method that is best for all forms of delivery (file playback, web, DVD, etc). FZor example, DVD is standard definition only and therefore the web or file playback delivery methods will yield much higher resolution than DVD.

Also note that you'll probably have better results with the title scrolling if you had used the Boris Title Crawl text generator that came bundled with FCE.

-DH

Mar 31, 2012 7:42 AM in response to pianoman26011993

A few responses, hopefully they are illuminating and possibly also helpful

"Best Quality" has a subjective aspect to it. If you mean, "as close to my original footage as possible", then export to QuickTime Movie, not QuickTime Conversion. And if you are sending the video to iDVD, export to QuickTime Movie only.

If you are using Final Cut Express, your HDV material has already been transcoded to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec. That's how FCE works with HDV video. If you simply export your sequence to QuickTime Movie, you will get a file that is QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec.

You cannot export from FCE to ProRes. FCE does not support ProRes.

If your video is HDV it should already be 16:9; there is nothing further you need to do to ensure it is 16:9.

The lines on your TV screen could happen from many causes. It's not necessarily your video, although if the lines are fairly consistent throughout the entire video, it could be from the interlaced nature of the video, a bad export or a bad encode & burn. Try the following as a test:

• In FCE, do Sequence > Render All > Both, followed by Sequence > Render Only > Mixdown.
  • Then save your project.
  • Then export to QuickTime Movie (self-contained or not, it doesn't matter for this test).
  • Then import the video into iDVD.
  • In iDVD make sure your Encoding preference is set to Professional Quality.
  • Then complete & burn your DVD. See if that makes a difference.

Mar 31, 2012 8:12 PM in response to pianoman26011993

iDVD will take care of the necessary encoding to burn your video to DVD. The important measure is the length in time of your video. You can fit up to about 2 hours on single-layer DVD media; about 4 hours on dual-layer DVD media. The filesize of the QuickTime file that you export from FCE/import into iDVD is irrelevant.

For a 140 minute video, you should be using a dual-layer DVD disc.

Exporting feature film - best quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.