Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro is shutting off my home wireless network

I've been reading through some of the other MBP wi-fi issues but couldn't find anyone discussing what I'm dealing with so I wanted to put this out there.

I got a MBP earlier this week and, it seems like after powering down or shutting the MBP and reopening it, my wi-fi network at home shuts down or isn't recognized. When this happens, I have to unplug my airport extreme and turn the internet on and off on my cable router so the wi-fi signal can be recognized on my wireless devices. It's not just the MBP (running Lion 10.7.3) that can't find the wi-fi when this happens; my MacBook (running OSX 10.5.8), my TV with wi-fi and my wife's iPhone lose their signals also. The airport extreme and my cable router still are showing that they're running when this happens (green light on airport).

It only seems to happen when the MBP has been powered down or closed. Not sure if it has something to do with the airport extreme router that's in the MBP. It doesn't seem that anything is actually turning off the airport extreme but none of the devices can recognize the wi-fi signal after this happens. Turning off and on the airport from either of the computers doesn't seem to do anything. It requires a reboot to the airport.

Any thoughts on this?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 4:55 AM

8 replies

Mar 31, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Linc Davis

linc davis - the MBP does connect to the wi-fi network. I haven't had any issues yest with MBP automatically disconnecting from the wi-fi (as i've read other people have had).

I've really only noticed it as an issue when the MBP was shut down or closed. in those times, it seems that the wi-fi network is being shut off for everything in my house (not just the MBP). for example, i left my MBP on while i was out of the house. it went to sleep but i didn't shut it so everything was fine when i woke it up to get online just now.

Mar 31, 2012 10:58 AM in response to eddietheyeti

So you're saying that when the MBP goes to sleep with the lid open, and then wakes up, there's no problem, but when it goes to sleep with the lid closed and wakes up, the whole network goes down. If that's true, it doesn't fit any pattern I've ever heard of or can explain.

Does the same thing happen on other wireless networks, or only yours?

MacBook Pro is shutting off my home wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.