Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Stolen, recovered, passwords changed

My iMac 27 was stolen and then recovered. The thieves added a new admin account "User" that has no password. My accounts are visible, but the passwords I was using when they stole it are no longer valid. I thought I could simply use the new "User" admin account to access Users & Groups and reset my account passwords. But when I go to Users & Groups my old accounts are greyed out, I cannot select them.

How can I regain access to my original accounts?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:55 AM

Try setting a password on the new "User" account and then you may be able to Unlock that panel to make changes.

But they may have also deleted all your data and only left the name and a few files in those acounts.

Good Luck.

10 replies

Apr 4, 2012 5:24 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

Are you serious? The device has to connect to a previously known wifi network? That is such a serious limitation that it renders the feature useless for many situations and promotes a false sense of security. I know some folks enabled the feature on their Macs after mine was stolen, and I bet none of them are aware of that defect.

Apr 4, 2012 12:02 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Unfortunately:

Find My Mac can only locate your Mac if it is connected to an internet via a known Wi-Fi network. If your Mac is connected to the internet only by an ethernet cable, Find My Mac will not be able to locate your Mac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4006

It has been mentioned numerous times, that this feature only works against a very dumb theif.

iMac Stolen, recovered, passwords changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.