Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Easiest way to re-size an image to a specific size in iPhoto.

After hours of researching this subject online, I finally figured out how to use iPhoto in Lion to easily

re-size an image to specific dimensions. Here's what I did that worked: Save the photo you want to re-size

in a folder on desktop called Pix to Re-size. Go to the Apple application for Mac called Preview. Drag the Preview

icon to your dock for easy future use. Click open. Go to Preview Help. Search "Resize and image". There

are just the instructions you need to re-size not just to "small, medium or large" but to other options as well.

I was trying to re-size an image to 480 x 640 pixels. FINALLY - THIS lets you do that. You will see how to

enter new values for width and heighth. Eureka! You will be given choices and one choice is "pixels". It works.

It does not work to try to do this through iPhoto using the crop and constrain functions. You would think that

would offer the choice to convert to w x h in pixels, but try it for yourself. Won't work. Preview lets u do this.

iMac7,1, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 11:27 AM

12 replies

Apr 16, 2013 3:16 PM in response to cdworin

iPhoto's choices of 4 JPeg sizes: Low, Medium, High and Maximum?

Those relate to image quality, i.e. the amount of jpeg compression that is applied to the file to reduce the file size. It has nothing to do with the image size in pixels.

Image size is addressed in the Size area:

User uploaded file

If you want a 640 x 480 image make sure the photo is first cropped to the 4:3 ratio. Then export and under Size set the maximum dimension to 640 pixels. That will give you what you want.

If you've edited the file select Kind = Current. If you want the original file select Kind = Original.

OT

Apr 16, 2013 3:28 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, but that's not quite what I meant. I can give a portrait image a height dimension of 318 pixels (which is my maximum) in many different programs. The width will vary to keep the image proportional. But my issue is then getting that image down to the size in KB that I want while keeping the dimensions unchanged, and having only 4 choices, instead of a continuum is the issue. The size I want, might, for example, fall between "Medium" and "High".

Apr 16, 2013 3:46 PM in response to cdworin

cdworin wrote:

Thanks. That might do the trick! Do you know of anything that would give me finer controls than iPhoto's choices of 4 JPeg sizes: Low, Medium, High and Maximum? Sizerox gives me a slider from 1 - 100% so I can fine tune the density of the final image, and I'd love to be able to keep that capability.

The iPhoto for Mac export includes a custom option where you can set the exact maximum dimension you want to the pixel - can't get much "finner" than that

LN

Easiest way to re-size an image to a specific size in iPhoto.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.