Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get FCE4 to record voiceover using my Canon GL1 camcorder? I'm using a firewire cable. So far nothing happens.

I'm trying to use a mic on my Canon GL1 video camera to record voice in Final Cut Express. The manual says you can do it but I can't make mine work and can't find anything on it anywhere. tedillon@live.com

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 2:23 PM

4 replies

Mar 31, 2012 8:35 PM in response to eddiemartinsville

The GL1 is a DV camcorder. You can capture live video + audio combined but it's not possible to capture just audio by itself. This is the nature of DV capturing, and Final Cut needs to have a combined audio & video stream over FireWire for capturing. So, you can't use this for VoiceOver.

A workaround would be to capture live from the camcorder for your v/o purposes, (you will be capturing both video + audio). Then in FCE unlink the audio tracks from the video track and delete the blank video track. But I wouldn't bother doing it that way because it's a hassle, and the mic in the GL1 isn't all that great.

Recommendation - get a decent mic and plug it into your Mac for voiceover recordings. You can use any dynamic XLR mic with an XLR female to 3.5mm male stereo adapter. You can pick up a Shure SM-58 for $99 new, $50-80 used.

How do I get FCE4 to record voiceover using my Canon GL1 camcorder? I'm using a firewire cable. So far nothing happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.