Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DC-in board replaced, but iBook stops charging after 7-9% increments

This is a G4 1.2 iBook running 10.5.8. I've tried the PRAM and PMU procedures repeatedly without impact. Here are my battery specifics before I describe the problem:

Battery Information:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 3125

Charging: Yes

Full charge capacity (mAh): 4267

Health Information:

Cycle count: 3072

Condition: Good

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 1433

Voltage (mV): 12243

I'm using a replacement battery and adaptor but until a few months ago everything was normal until the battery stopped charging after a maximum of 9% addition. In other words, I could go from 12 to 21% then charging stopped even if the adaptor is still plugged in. If I remove the battery and put it back after waiting 15 seconds or more, charging restores and I'm good for another 7-9%. Repeat procedure, toward 100% or close enough. The iBook worked fine on battery power other than the countdown strangely stalling at 5% remaining, where it will sit for an extraordinarily long time before showing the Low Battery warning and then quickly konking out.

Since the iBook is no longer our primary computer I let the situation exist until it got noticeably worse. Sometimes I'd have to take out and replace the battery several times before charging resumed toward another 7-9%. Finally charging stopped -- period -- with the battery drained completely.

The iBook would sporadically recgnize the adaptor. I'd be running fine then the computer would quit in a flash, sometimes going to sleep while typically requiring a restart. Only if I twisted and moved the adaptor plug would the iBook eventually ackowledge the cable and allow the startup procedure, often quitting in midstream.

Last week I purchased a new adaptor and sent away for a replacement (used) DC-in board. The adaptor was an improvement, recognized by the iBook. But I still couldn't charge the battery. This afternoon I replaced the DC-in board. For a few minutes it appeared everything was wonderful until charging stopped at exactly 9%. So I'm back to familiar ground, no different than a few weeks ago with the original DC-in board. I've amused myself by taking out the battery and gaining another 7-9%, now up to 77% as I type this.

Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience? Obviously the DC-in board was an issue since my situation changed markedly today when it was replaced. But perhaps it's not the sole problem. I guess it's possible the used DC-in board that I purchased cheap on eBay was in similar declining condition to my original one, despite "Tests OK," and now I'm stuck in the same predicament as the past few months.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 3:01 PM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2012 6:31 PM in response to Awsi Dooger

Cycle count: 3072

Wow! That is likely your problem.

Battery Lifespan

A properly maintained PowerBook or iBook battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity after 300 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

You need a new battery!

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/iBook_G4_12

or if it is the 1.2 GHz 14-inch model:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/iBook_G4_14

Mar 31, 2012 9:03 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thanks for your reply. I agree, the cycle count number is bizarre. But I'm sure it's inacurrate, and somehow related to the recent troubles I've had, taking the battery out repeatedly and charging limited to small increments.

I checked my records. I've had the battery for less than 15 months, purchased new. Until the problems developed a few months ago, much more often than not the iBook was used on adaptor and the battery seldom fully discharged. This computer is anything but a workhorse these days, often going days between use. The cycle count number wants to pretend we have averaged nearly 7 cycles per day.

The problem is charging the battery, not battery performance or life. As I type this reply my battery is at 80% capacity after being in use for 36 minutes.

Apr 1, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Awsi Dooger

An iBook battery is a lithium-ion battery. The typical lifespan of a lithium-ion battery is two to three years, whether it is used or not.

Some last longer, and some don't last that long.

The odd charging experience you are reporting may have affected the battery's lifespan. Removing and replacing the battery repeatedly may have upped the cycle count.

Have you calibrated the battery, as recommended? If not, that can affect performance, too.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Apr 1, 2012 11:22 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

I calibrated the battery when it was new, long before any of the weird charging problems began. Once the troubles started I've seldom charged the battery to 100% because of the frustrating issue I described, a maximum of 9% gain. Typically I turn the iBook upside down on a bed or table when not in use. It's connected to the adapter. Then when I walk past the iBook and think about it I'll take the battery out for 15 or 20 seconds and replace it. That starts the process of the 9% gain. I occasionally push the little button on the bottom of the battery to see how high the charge has reached. It's basically one green light for every 25%. Once I've reached 2 or 3 lights there's enough charge to use it outside the adapter.

Battery life has always been acceptable to very good. Last night I used the iBook and let the battery drain until the reserve power warning. I started at 94% charge and managed 3 hours 45 minutes.

Most likely I'll purchase another battery since other low cost variables have been explored and nobody seems to recognize this specific problem. But I'll be very surprised if the 9% gimmick doesn't transfer to the new battery.

DC-in board replaced, but iBook stops charging after 7-9% increments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.