Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broke Safari's icon.

So I tried to change Safari's icon today, but instead of it changing it instead looks like this User uploaded file

Now, I tried to revert this by going into Safari's package contents and getting the compass.icns file to change it back, but now it just looks like: User uploaded file . So yeah, I think I broke Safari (or at least its icon).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 7:03 PM

Download the Safari 5.1.5 updater from the Apple Support site and apply it.

6 replies

Apr 1, 2012 5:32 PM in response to MacFanBoy1997

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select Help from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in Mac OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Apr 2, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

User uploaded file(writing from the guest account now) I was pretty sure I knew the answer before I even did it, and I was right. It did not work.

What I did to originally change the icon in the first place was that I:
1. Went to applications

2. Pressed get info on Safari

3. Pressed get info on the custom picture that I wanted

4. highlighted the Safari icon in the top-left corner

5. dragged the icon of the custom picture into the Safari get-info window.

When I saw that this screwed up the icon I:
1. Opened Safari's package contents

2. Pressed get-info on the compass.icns file

3. Pressed get-info on Safari.

etc. etc. you get the idea. But it didn't change it back.

Broke Safari's icon.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.