Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I manually set the Camera Roll to start at an arbitrary image number, i.e., IMG_0553.JPG?

I have an iPhone 4s, currently with iOS 5.1. I use it with my desktop computer which runs Windows Vista (and has the latest iTunes installed 10.6), and my laptop, which has Windows 7 and the latest iTunes. I use iCloud and Photo Stream primarily with the desktop computer.

Since receiving the iPhone on launch day, (Nov...14?, 2011), I've had to "Set [it] up as new" twice, most recently this morning.

After setting it up as new, the Camera Roll starts over with pictures at IMG_0001.JPG. That means, that, after my first picture after this latest reset, I'll have three pictures all initially named IMG_0001.JPG, and instead, I'll have IMG_0001.JPG, IMG_0001 (1).JPG, and IMG_0001 (3).JPG in my photo library. This robs me of the ability view my photos sorted by name, which is often the default sort order in my photo folders, and still see them chronologically. I can, of course, sort them by Date Created, but it would be more flexible if I could do either one.

Therefore, I'd like to set Camera Roll to start numbering its photos starting with whatever the next number higher than all the rest in my library would be, in this case, IMG_0553.JPG.

I can't just use Windows to go into the iPhone's Camera Roll and rename the first photo I take to be IMG_0533.JPG. The iPhone just doesn't allow tampering with the filename that way. Can I even count on Camera Roll to note the presence of the highest numbered file in its folder and then just name the next picture taken the next higher number?

Since I have no reason to believe that I won't have to reset the phone again, I'd like for whatever method I find to be one that I can use to set the Camera Roll to start at whatever other number I need when the time comes.

Suggestions welcome...

I have an idea that I'm about to try...I'll report back if it succeeds...

UPDATE: So what I tried to do was, with an empty Camera Roll, I uploaded a picture with the filename and number that I wanted (IMG_0533.JPG) into my Photo Stream, then saved that picture to my Camera Roll, hoping it would retain the file name, and then Camera Roll would just use the next number. That didn't work. It saved into Camera Roll as a brand spanking new IMG_0001.JPG.

Message was edited by: Shadowhawk kTreva

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 6:34 PM

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3520456?start=0&tstart=0.

6 replies

Mar 31, 2012 7:21 PM in response to randers4

The other thread's solution is to edit a file that keeps track of the last number used. So even though the original poster didn't mention it specifically in their solution, it did in fact, tell me where and how to solve the problem I have.

The thread/solution didn't seem quite explicit enough with regard to how to edit the relevant file and how to save it with all the right permissions etc...

...but I went ahead and gambled a little bit, and all seems solved. Thanks for making me take a second look at that thread.

Mar 31, 2012 7:35 PM in response to Shadowhawk kTreva

To bring the solution into this thread, here are the consolidated solution bits from the other thread:

I installed i-Funbox and found the file referenced in that other thread ( iPHone / Raw File System / PhotoData / MISC / DCIM_APPLE.plist ).

That file has a section that I'm replicating below that is the part that that original poster edited, and is the part that needs to be edited for my problem also:

<key>DCIMLastFileNumber</key>

<integer>5</integer>

That other thread's original poster wanted his photos to start with 0001, so he set his "DCIMLastFileNumber" to 0.

I wanted my next picture to be IMG_0553.JPG, so I edited my file's 5 to 552.

I did that editing by first copying the file to my laptop (using the Copy To PC command), then opening it up in a text editor. I did the edit, then saved it.

After that, I used i-Funbox' "Copy From PC" command to copy the edited file back to the same location, hoping that the program would take care of any permissions, etc.

I had to do the Copy From PC twice.

On the first try, it seemed to copy just fine, but, for whatever reason, the copied file was empty when I opened it for verification. But I tried again, and that seemed to work (opened for verification, and it was as expected).

I then unplugged it, copied a picture from the Photo Stream to the Camera Roll, then plugged it into my laptop to verify the filename. It was exactly as I wanted: IMG_0533.JPG. Then, for fuller verification, I unplugged it, took a new picture, then replugged it in, and confirmed that the next pictures (I had HDR on) were IMG_0534.JPG and IMG_0535.JPG.

...and that's where I am. Nothing has crashed yet, too, which is all to the good ('course, I haven't done anything else with the phone yet).

Fingers crossed!

How can I manually set the Camera Roll to start at an arbitrary image number, i.e., IMG_0553.JPG?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.