Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete images from IPhoto after importing them to Aperture?

I'm Looking for a way to have the selected images from IPhote to be automatically deleted after they are imported into Aperture.

Like many others, "I tend to use iPhoto as my first point of culling images, so that the only images I have in Aperture have already passed an initial selection process prior to adjustment."

And it would be nice to have them automatically deleted.

I've read in related threads ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2637137?answerId=17993651022#17993651022&tstart=30#17993651 ) the idea of using a workflow with both Image Capture and Bridge so I'll try them but would be nice if it could be done directly.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 4GB RAM; Wacom, Powermate, MagicTrackpad, iControl,

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 7:04 PM

You'll need to script this no way to do it out of the box.

But importing into iPhoto in order to select images to import into Aperture really is a huge time waster.

5 replies

Mar 31, 2012 11:51 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Like many others, "I tend to use iPhoto as my first point of culling images, so that the only images I have in Aperture have already passed an initial selection process prior to adjustment."

"First I write a paragraph in TextEdit and then re-read it. Then I write the same paragraph in Word."

Using iPhoto as a front end for Aperture makes no sense whatever. You can cull as easily in Aperture. It's a much less complex workflow.

Regards

TD

Apr 1, 2012 12:57 AM in response to 60wpm

Frank and TD said it all - browsing your newly imported images and weeding out the ones you do not want to keep - really is easier done in Aperture than in iPhoto, and the advantage is that you can combine this selection process with the proper tagging and rating of your images at the same time. If you set keywords in iPhoto these will not map properly to a hierarchical keyword structure in Aperture.

And it is risky to delete automatically when you are importing: You may have applied presets that change the images, applied the wrong time zone adjustmens, overwritten the image captions, etc. etc....

Then it is much easier to import again and not to be forced to fix this mess doing it manually, but that will not be possible if you deleted the images automatically before you had a chance to check if the import is complete and correct.

Needless to say, the same goes for automatically deleting from the camera when importing ...

But to answer your question: 🙂

If for some reason your workflow requires you to import first to iPhoto and later from iPhoto to Aperture, then it is useful to treat the intermediate iPhoto libraries like film rolls - one iPhoto Library for each shoot. Import the complete Library into Aperture using File-> Import iPhoto Library,

for if you import selectively from the iPhoto Browser, you will not get proper Version-Master pairs, but two stacked master images for the original master and the edited versions.

So if your iPhoto Library is just one shoot at a time, you can import the complete library and then move this partial Library to your backup location after importing it to Aperture - no need to delete single images in the iPhoto library on import.

I use this method occasionally when I'm roughing it on a hiking or sailing trip, with only one old MacBook (and only iPhoto) to share between my husband and me.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 1, 2012 6:44 AM in response to léonie

Oh boy....thank you all for taking the time to respond and to 'wake me up,' to the better reality of importing my Photos directly into Aperture.

Basically I guess I was suffering from the 'old shoe syndrome,' i.e. my old way of doing this was comfortable enough and there were slim (very slim) reasons I could come up with for keeping iPhoto in my workflow

(like I have an iCal item that automatically downloads a daily photo from NASA).

For what it's worth, léonieDF gave me reasons to change, so that solved my question the most (reasons: valid keywords and the proper Version-Master pairs) and the clear idea of treat every shoot like a Library and import the whole Library.

And Frank made it clear what I wanted to do could not be done without scripting.

Problem solved.🙂

Re: Retyping text from Text Edit to Pages, well of course anyone would just use Cut & Paste and I actually have been doing this because Text Edit recognizes the valuable typing feature of System Preferences>Substitutions and Pages does not.

Delete images from IPhoto after importing them to Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.