Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV audio vs AirPort Express

Dear friend I do need your help.

I'm facing a situation and I don't know whether it's normal or not.

Both my AppleTV and my airport express are connected to my home theatre, and I 've noticed something strange. When I'm listening to music using AirPlay trough the AirPort Express the quality of the sound is better and louder than when I stream music using the AppleTv.

I thought that the sound coming through the AppleTV should be better simply because it uses an optical cable, is that alright?

I do appreciate any help.

Apple TV (2nd generation), iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 11:35 PM

You won't be able to directly compare really, not with the same parameters anyway.

You're using the Express' analogue out, which means the Express has done a D to A conversion and amplified the audio a little to produce the analogue output. To see if there was a significant loudness difference you'd need to use the Express' optical out (you need a mini Toslink adapter to plug an optical cable into the same socket you use for analogue now).

If you compared optical from each you'd expect both to sound the same as they only hand the digital signal on to the TV.

In practice there are subtle differences - Express will output whatever file it was sent at 'CD quality' of 16 bit 44.1 kHz even if the source file was worse or better quality than CD. ATV2 for some reason converts audio to 16bit 48 kHz so the bitrate will be different and may cause some subtle audible difference - I wish it output at CD quality like the Express and ATV1.

One thing to bear in mind with Airplay - if you are doing Airplay actually from iTunes to AppleTV rather than accessing music from Computers section on ATV2 to access your library then any settings in iTunes such as volume, equalizer and audio 'enhancements', crossfades etc get applied to the Airplay stream. If you are playing from Computers>Your iTunes>Music on ATV2 however iTunes settings are ignored for the most part.

Another thing to check in ATV2's Audio and Video Settings is Sound Check - this limits dynamic range and generally makes audio sound awful - the Express does not have this feature (designed for headphone/earphone use or late night listening to avoid sudden high volume tracks). Turn Sound Check off ifit's on.

AC

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2012 11:35 PM in response to DilmarRibeiro

You won't be able to directly compare really, not with the same parameters anyway.

You're using the Express' analogue out, which means the Express has done a D to A conversion and amplified the audio a little to produce the analogue output. To see if there was a significant loudness difference you'd need to use the Express' optical out (you need a mini Toslink adapter to plug an optical cable into the same socket you use for analogue now).

If you compared optical from each you'd expect both to sound the same as they only hand the digital signal on to the TV.

In practice there are subtle differences - Express will output whatever file it was sent at 'CD quality' of 16 bit 44.1 kHz even if the source file was worse or better quality than CD. ATV2 for some reason converts audio to 16bit 48 kHz so the bitrate will be different and may cause some subtle audible difference - I wish it output at CD quality like the Express and ATV1.

One thing to bear in mind with Airplay - if you are doing Airplay actually from iTunes to AppleTV rather than accessing music from Computers section on ATV2 to access your library then any settings in iTunes such as volume, equalizer and audio 'enhancements', crossfades etc get applied to the Airplay stream. If you are playing from Computers>Your iTunes>Music on ATV2 however iTunes settings are ignored for the most part.

Another thing to check in ATV2's Audio and Video Settings is Sound Check - this limits dynamic range and generally makes audio sound awful - the Express does not have this feature (designed for headphone/earphone use or late night listening to avoid sudden high volume tracks). Turn Sound Check off ifit's on.

AC

Apr 18, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Alley_Cat

With RCA inputs on powered speakers, are you better off going through an Airport Extreme, Airport Express, or Apple TV?

I'm looking into Audioengine's A5 or A5+, and I'm trying to figure out what configuration would produce the best sound for Airplay from either iTunes or an iOS device. I'd like to use the powered speakers as an audio output for both my TV and for AirPlay, and the A5+ has two sets of RCA L/R inputs, so I have some flexibility there.

What would you recommend? I've been trying to research the built-in DAC in Airport Express and Airport Extreme, without much luck.

Thanks!

CM

Aug 7, 2012 11:45 AM in response to cmoccari

cmoccari wrote:

With RCA inputs on powered speakers, are you better off going through an Airport Extreme, Airport Express, or Apple TV?

I'm looking into Audioengine's A5 or A5+, and I'm trying to figure out what configuration would produce the best sound for Airplay from either iTunes or an iOS device. I'd like to use the powered speakers as an audio output for both my TV and for AirPlay, and the A5+ has two sets of RCA L/R inputs, so I have some flexibility there.

What would you recommend? I've been trying to research the built-in DAC in Airport Express and Airport Extreme, without much luck.

Thanks!

CM

Well, current AppleTVs have no analogue out so unless you use optical to a DAC you'd be stuck unless speakers had optical in (you could also do that with a DAC from an express I guess).

An older express was reviewed in stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/

I have no idea if newer versions/current have been reviewed more recently.

I don't think any Extremes have an audio out - at least mine doesn't.

AC

Aug 7, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Robert Mills!

Robert Mills! wrote:

I did a few casual tests of this myself... i thought the Apple TV mark2 sounded better than the old plug style Airport Express. I dont like using the itunes volume control, the apple tv has a fixed output. Toslink from that direct to pwered speakers should be good, esp if the DAC is inside the speakers.

Don't forget the express has a combied 3.5mm analogue/miniToslink socket.

I would agree that it's likely powered speakers with optical in, onboard DAC and good internal amplification will surpass the likely low quality analogue stage in the Express or older AppleTV1.

One advantage of the older express at least was that it output CD quality audio at 44.1kHz 16 bit - AppleTV 2/3 upsample to 48 kHz which I don't like as most of my audio is from CD and most sample will be interpolated to get 48 kHz. Ideally of course I wish these devices could handle 16/24 bit and 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz and beyond but they don't. Sonically I've actually not tested AppleTV1 (which didn't), older Express and ATV 2/3 against each other as while they do a pretty good job for me through an old Yamaha processor into an old Naim system, I don't really regard them as audiophile products, but can't bring myself to buy a quality audio streamer at present.

AC

Dec 16, 2013 7:45 AM in response to pfladuke

My setup for a long time now has been:

Two Airmotiv 5 powered speakers from Emotiva. (http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/speakers/products/airmotiv5)

One external DAC

(http://schiit.com/products/bifrost)

I run an optical toslink to min toslink cable between the DAC and the Airport Express, and then RCA cables from the DAC to the powered speakers. Monoprice is a good place for those.

AppleTV audio vs AirPort Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.