Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.2.3 Update Warning!

iPhoto Update 9.2.3

March 31, 2012

Heads up to the Apple user community…

Make sure you have a backup copy of your previous iPhoto app, and a copy of your iPhoto Library before you try the update to iPhoto 9.2.3.

Here’s my experience:

Last night, I downloaded iPhoto 9.2.3 update from Apple. I was already using iPhoto 9.2.2 without any glitches.

Once the update was installed in the Applications folder, and I reopened the new iPhoto 9.2.3 updated app… at some point iPhoto asked me to “rebuild” my iPhoto library. I answered OK, or Yes (don't recall).

The new iPhoto 9.2.3 app then proceeded to convert and/or sort my previous iPhoto Library photos.

After the iPhoto 9.2.3 “rebuild” was complete it changed ALL of the 25,000+ icons to my photos into the 'same' icon! However, if I clicked on the icon to open the picture it was as it should be, the correct picture.

However, imagine the surprise. Fortunately, I had a backup copy of my iPhoto Library (9.2.2.) on another hard drive, and I ran the update again…

Unfortunately, the iPhoto 9.2.3 Application did the same thing. All of the icons in my iPhoto Library (9.2.2.) were turned into the same icon, again.

I've searched the Net for any problems that resemble my own results with iPhoto 9.2.3 update, to no avail.

For the moment I've returned to using iPhoto 9.2.2, and all is well.

Good luck!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 17" MacBook Pro 1st Gen Core i7

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 11:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 11:56 PM

Well you're absolutely correct that you always need to have a back up prior to updating anything on your computer.

As to your specific issue: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to rebuild the thumbnails. It can take 3 or 4 goes for this to work

Regards

TD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2012 11:56 PM in response to srfella

Well you're absolutely correct that you always need to have a back up prior to updating anything on your computer.

As to your specific issue: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to rebuild the thumbnails. It can take 3 or 4 goes for this to work

Regards

TD

Jun 19, 2013 2:23 PM in response to srfella

Since 2012 when it first appeared in the software update window - I have tried everything to get 9.2.3. to work. I accidentally clicked ok to the updater a few days ago and it installed 9.2.3 once again and my iphoto library would not be recognized (65GB of photos). I get nothing but the top header bar that says iphoto but no window opens at all. I held down the command option keys while launching - and the same thing occured - no window just the top header showing iphoto. I tried this atleast ten times to no avail. I downloaded the iphoto dowload manager - tried to rebuild - didn't work.

Finally went into time machine and once again restored 9.2.2 from a June 12, 2013 backup. Everything is fine now.

I did notice in time machine that version 9.2.2 takes up 1.1 GB - yet the update 9.2.3 application is paired down to 709.2 MB. Perhaps the upgrade is removing an important component??? What is happening with this version on my imac? I'm sure I'm not the only person that has had this issue - likewise I'm sure there are those who have not had any issue with the upgrade. I would love to know what is going on.

Thanks,

Jim

Jun 20, 2013 12:35 AM in response to jamestr

Search the forum nd you'll find that your experience is not common at all. The upgrade is not removing important components, if it did your experience would be universal.

What happened when you rebuilt with iPhoto Library Manager? Any error messages?

Have you tried creating a new test library? Tried launching iPhoto in another account? These simple things will tell you if the problem is with the iPhoto app or your Library.

Jun 20, 2013 9:44 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrance, When I rebuilt the with iPhoto Library Manager - it just created a new folder in my pictures files titled "iPhoto Library (rebuilt)" - it only contained 6.9 MB so I'm assuming it was just thumbnails. When I laucnched iPhoto I just got the task bar showing that iphoto was running - but NO active window and NO way to get one.

I used Time Machine and went back to 9.2.2 and everything works fine.

I have upgraded to 9.2.3 atleast 6 times and always reort to going back to 9.2.2 because it will work.

I would really appreciate help understanding why 9.2.3 will NOT work but 9.2.2 will.

The software updater is promting me to upgrade as usual - but unless I know what else needs to be done it is futal to even try. VERY frustrating as most of my Apple experiences have been with ease until this.

Also, I tried holding down the option/command keys while starting iphoto and nothing happens - not window - just the task bar. I don't get it????????

iPhoto 9.2.3 Update Warning!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.