Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why apple has not fixed or atleast responded to users on LION Overheating issue???

I am having a MacBook Pro 13 bought last year.

I was happy with my snowleopard but, my friend sugested to upgrade to LION, paid all money and upgraded to LION,

Within a week overheating started, and it was difficult to keep it on my lap.

I have tried all the tricks mentioned in apple communities and other websites to solve this heat ,, sorry OVERHEATING issue .. but no benefit....

My MacBook Pro 13 had been thouroughly checked in apple serivce centre and no hardware issue had been found for the heat issue... so its LION only...

Also to mention that i use very less number of applications opened at a time, like firefox, chrome and itunes. So the heating is not due to usage of heavy applications .

After searching the whole interenet and apple community forum, i am surprised to see that there is no response from anyone in apple.. dont they periodically check what apple users are facing.. ?? dont they monitor the apple community so that they can fix the issues before it gets out of hand.....

I think Apple doesnt care on whats happening in Apple community portal, so we all are on our on...

I had a very good impression abt apple. until before upgrading to Lion... crap my MONEY IS GONEEE.

For anyone who got solution for this issue, other than the trick to delete Citrix plugin, disable spotlight etc, I am ready to welcome any new WORKING solution for this OVERHEATING...

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:26 AM

Also to mention, i am having all the latest lion updates installed in my machine. 🙂

16 replies

Apr 1, 2012 5:14 AM in response to mebyin

Have you tried resetting the SMC? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

I have early 2011 13" MBP, shipped with Snow Leopard and upgraded to Lion*, works peachy keen. Only times it gets hot and the fans start going is when I'm doing CPU intensive work e.g. batch RAW processing, FCP rendering, and Compressor encoding, as expected. Oh, and unfortunately as expected, Flash makes it do that to sometimes too. 😝

*When I upgraded to Lion, I backed up the HD, wiped and zero'ed it before installing Lion and all my apps. I didn't upgrade "on top" of Snow Leopard, I avoid that with major OS upgrades -- I like to start clean.

Apr 1, 2012 5:34 AM in response to mebyin

The odds are that your MBP is within the heat parameters that it is designed for. I suggest you download iStat pro which will enable you to monitor the actual temperatures that your MBP is producing. In conjunction with Activity Monitor you will be able to evaluate if indeed your MBP is having issues or not. What you may perceive as overheating may not be so.

Ciao.

Apr 10, 2012 9:36 PM in response to ds store

@@ds store i am thinking the same now...

@@Eric. i did trying that 2 weeks back itself.. no improvement

@@OGELTHORPE i already have the iStat Pro. this we can monitor the heat. thats it.. this wont solve the issue.

hmmm dont know.. if i dont get a solution by today i am gonna go back to snow leopard...

Why to burn my aptop hardware due to the stupid LION's overheating....

Apr 11, 2012 2:51 AM in response to mebyin

There may or may not be Apple employees in this forum but they participate as 'private citizens' not as representatives of Apple. This is a user forum.

Since you have indicated that you have iStat pro installed in your MBP, you can see the temperatures that are actually being generated and under what circumstances. If you would post actual numbers and what applications are in use, then perhaps you could get some helpful advice and observations. Merely saying it' is overheating is too vague in these circumstances

To repeat what I said,"What you may perceive as overheating may not be so." But then you may very well correct, but until you can post some definitive information, we cannot tell.

Ciao.

Apr 11, 2012 11:50 AM in response to mebyin

I appreciate the iStat pro display. Your MBP is running hotter than mine, but I am not doing anything that is stressing the CPU right now. Yours is still within acceptable limits and the fan has not gone to top speed, but is close (6000 rpm). Be aware that there are temperature sensors inside your MBP that will shut it down if it exceeds the tolerances that it has been designed for.

I note that you have Bootcamp and I have seen in the past on other posts where windows installations have had an adverse impact on the internal temperatures of MBPs. This may be the explanation, but since I do not use Windows on mine, I cannot say with any certainty. You might want to explore that aspect on other posts or start a new one.

Ciao.

May 24, 2012 11:44 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I'm having the same issue: MBP upgraded to Lion, fan stays revved up most of the time.

I've kept an eye on Activity Monitor, and sure enough the CPU is being considerably overused. However, in the list of running processes, the CPU% column doesn't add up to what's being shown down below. See screen shot for reference (http://option5.net/stuff/ActivityMonitor.png). So something not being shown is stealing CPU cycles?

This is after a clean install of Lion too. I thought a clean install might help, that perhaps I had some sort of malware/spyware stealing CPU cycles, but no dice. Apparently, it's a Lion issue, with everyone on here complaining about it.

What's weird though is my work computer, an iMac running Lion, doesn't have this issue. Grr. This is so frustrating.

May 25, 2012 9:51 AM in response to mrkos66

Mrkos66 you need to choose all processes in the Activity Monitor instaed of My Processes. This will show you what is eating up all the CPU. Also, to the OP post a picture of the Activity Monitor with All Processes showing when the Temp and fan are that high, this would be useful in diagnosing your problem.

May 25, 2012 10:00 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

my issue isn't necessarily the overheating issue. my problem is when i have 0 apps running, the cpu is going haywire on something and brings my system to a crawl. Now that I've learned about All Processes vs My Processes, I can figure out the culprit when it happens again (right now, my cpu is about 12% with a few apps open — pretty normal).

Why apple has not fixed or atleast responded to users on LION Overheating issue???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.