Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Import iPhoto Library "package" into Aperture 3

Hi there, I've recently made a backup of all my data and did a clean reinstall of Lion, so the problem is that I won't be using my iLife 11 Suite, so as for my photos I want to take advantage of my recently purchased copy of Aperture 3 but when I ever try to import my iPhoto Library Package, it won't let me, this message pops:

Invalid iPhoto Library

Importing libraries from versions earlier than iPhoto 7.1.5 is not supported. Please upgrade your iPhoto library with iPhoto 7.1.5 or later.

So, searched into some discussions and realize I had to upgrade or restore my library using iPhoto.

Is there any other way to get all my photos and videos in that package, into my aperture library?

One thing to consider is that I can right-click this package and open its contents and then I can get individual files and view everything, but since there's this function for importing all of the library, I would really love to do it this way, not individually.

NEED HELP PLEASE!

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 10:31 AM

After a clean install of Lion you should be able to redownload iPhoto 11 from the App Store, if it came preinstalled on your Mac. Try to sign into the App Store with your Apple ID, and hopefully you'll see the iLife Applications in the "accept" section of the App Store. Click accept and you should be able to redownload iPhoto without charge. Then use it to upgrade your iPhoto Library and you will be able to importit into Aperture.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2012 10:31 AM in response to dandycoxis

After a clean install of Lion you should be able to redownload iPhoto 11 from the App Store, if it came preinstalled on your Mac. Try to sign into the App Store with your Apple ID, and hopefully you'll see the iLife Applications in the "accept" section of the App Store. Click accept and you should be able to redownload iPhoto without charge. Then use it to upgrade your iPhoto Library and you will be able to importit into Aperture.

Apr 1, 2012 12:53 PM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot! Now last question, I'm actually importing my whole library (iPhoto) into Aperture right now, so my questin is: Now that I trasnfered entirely my whole set of pictures and videos, can I delete the iPhoto Library? At the time when I did the importing, I chose to import into Aperture Library (copying) so this will make my HDD to fill with a copy, I wanna get rid of the old iPhoto Library because now I just wanna use Aperture.

Apr 1, 2012 1:04 PM in response to dandycoxis

Ii you are sure that all of your iPhoto images have been transferred safely, you can remove the you iPhoto Library from your system drive. But keep a backup copy of it on an external drive or thumbsdrive- sometimes you'll notice only later that some images could not be imported properly because of some corruption in the iPhoto library, and then it will be very helpful to still be able to open your old iPhoto Library.

Regards

Léonie

Can't Import iPhoto Library "package" into Aperture 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.