Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will an ELSA TNT2 16G AGP video card run on my PowerMac G4?

I just bought a PowerMac G4 from the Ohio Thrift Store in Columbus for $20.20, and it didn't come with a video card. So will the above mentioned card work?

PowerMac

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 12:36 PM

Hello, I doubt it, seems it's a Windows PC card, & no idea if it can be flashed with Mac ROMs needed to run it on a Mac.

Mac Video cards are not plentiful.

See japamacs page here on the best AGP cards for G4s & G5s...

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D379 42BEE.html

Rated slowest on top, fastest on bottom, hopefully japamac will drop in shortly.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2012 12:36 PM in response to rnoahmaxjazz

Hello, I doubt it, seems it's a Windows PC card, & no idea if it can be flashed with Mac ROMs needed to run it on a Mac.

Mac Video cards are not plentiful.

See japamacs page here on the best AGP cards for G4s & G5s...

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D379 42BEE.html

Rated slowest on top, fastest on bottom, hopefully japamac will drop in shortly.

Apr 1, 2012 3:00 PM in response to rnoahmaxjazz

will the above mentioned card work?

No.

Get one that I listed on either page linked here:

8923D90A-7AD8-41F1-BD1A-FEA5E1780B95.html

4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D37942BEE.html

A card MUST be stated as Mac compatible or as Apple OEM in the cards specifications.

If not, it must be one listed that can be flashed and must be flashed prior to use.

Geforce cards must be flashed in a Windows PC.

Apr 9, 2012 1:26 AM in response to Kappy

A 933 MHz is likely a Quicksilver, if OEM then the 2002 model. That would be a PowerMac3,5.

A PowerMac2,1 is a G3 iMac.

If the friend doesn't need an ADC port, that machine can use the Radeon 9800 Pro, XT or X800XT, with only the Radeon 9800 Pro being made in a real Mac version.

The flashed XT and X800XT (FireGL X3) work great.

If he needs an ADC port,the Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition is the only choice unless one can find the rarest, awfully expensive Apple OEM Radeon 9700 Pro.

Otherwise, use a DVI to ADC adapter from eBay.

If the machine is a Quicksilver, one of the best performing options for both Tiger and Leopard is a flashed Geforce 6800 GT.

Performance and other options are all explained here:

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/All_Things_PPC.html

May 13, 2012 11:00 PM in response to rnoahmaxjazz

The Diamond Stealth S120 Radeon 9550 (AGP 8x) card is for PCs. It may be capable of having its EEPROM chip flashed, if a suitable Mac ROM is available for it. The Mac ROM is necessary for the card to be recognized and function in a Mac. As previously mentioned, the flashing procedure is done while the card is installed in a PC. There are specific graphics cards for which a ROM is available (for do-it-yourself flashing), but it would help to know which model G4 that you have. This would determine the speed of the AGP graphics slot. Although the Radeon 7500 "Mac Edition" card is "old" in terms of the technology (32 MBs of DDR memory), it's still available from Other World Computing. There are newer cards from which to choose, but they would be the PC cards needing flashing.

Will an ELSA TNT2 16G AGP video card run on my PowerMac G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.