Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't load last session's windows

Usually Safari opens all previous windows upon startup, but not always. Today was one of those days. I last used DataBackup yesterday, but I'm not sure how to access the proper file to restore the missing window. Help, anyone? I'm using v5.1.5

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4GB memory

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 1:37 PM

9 replies

Apr 1, 2012 2:49 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Sorry, but there was no such file in Library. Really. I did quit Safari and when I restarted it, both previous windows and all their tabs loaded. But, I was unable to delete the cache.db because it didn't exist, so my original problem still exists and I don't know how to either prevent it or solve it. Any more ideas?

BTW, thanks for your suggestions.

Apr 1, 2012 3:15 PM in response to Mark Peasley

Ok.. there are two libraries.

One is root denoted by /Library

The other is your home folder denoted by ~/Library (Tilde) character represents your Home folder.

Click the Finder icon in your Dock to open a new Finder window.

Now from the menu bar (top of your screen) click Go > Go to Folder

Type this in exactly as you see it here: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db.

Then click Go.

Apr 1, 2012 3:31 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Of course, I should have realized that about the two libraries. So, I found the file, deleted it, restarted Safari, and found the .db file with the current time. Both windows from the previous session loaded. I guess I won't know if this solution really works until Safari fails to load "all windows from last session" at some point in the future. I think your answer worked, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

Anyway, thanks for your persistence in helping me out with this.

Safari doesn't load last session's windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.