Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does iMovie store converted files (from Aperture)?

I import all of my movies into iMovie from Aperture. The other day, I was using a 1 hour clip from my Aperture library and I wanted to speed it up (time lapse). I was first required to convert the file and optimize it. The problem is as I was doing that, I watched as 15 gigabytes disappeared from my hard drive. This was especially confusing since the original movie file is no larger than 2 gigabytes.

So where did this space go? Where were these changes made? After I finish my movie and export it I plan on deleting the project but I did a test and that didn't free up any space.

Thanks,

Zach

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:29 PM

I figured it out myself using a disk utility program. I found that the largest files were stored in a file with the filename "iMovieSpeedConversion." Also, some other previews for videos I no longer needed can be found under Aperture Library --> Show Package Contents --> iMovie-Thumbnails

Keep in mind, if you have a project that uses something you delete, you're screwed. In my case, I had a bunch of previews/conversions generated for videos I no longer use, so I could delete them.

Also, this only applies to those using Aperture.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2012 2:29 PM in response to slapshot36227

I figured it out myself using a disk utility program. I found that the largest files were stored in a file with the filename "iMovieSpeedConversion." Also, some other previews for videos I no longer needed can be found under Aperture Library --> Show Package Contents --> iMovie-Thumbnails

Keep in mind, if you have a project that uses something you delete, you're screwed. In my case, I had a bunch of previews/conversions generated for videos I no longer use, so I could delete them.

Also, this only applies to those using Aperture.

Where does iMovie store converted files (from Aperture)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.