Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Event times shift when I change time zones. How do I keep times fixed at the values I originally entered?

Event times shift when I change time zones. How do I keep times fixed at the values I originally entered?

I use an iPod Touch running iOS 5.1. I Sync to my MacBook and keep iPod software up to date. In Settings/General/Date&Time I have time Set Automatically and Time Zone set to New York. I have Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Calendars/Time Zone Support/On and Time Zone set to Washington, DC.

While planning a trip at home in Washington I enter times and events in Calendar. I enter more events during the trip, which takes me first to LA then to Tokyo. Now back at home when I look to see the time for those events created overseas, the times have changed.

I want the time data I entered to be fixed. How do I arrange this?

G5 iMac, Intel MacBook, Intel iMac, iPod Touch, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 2:32 PM

15 replies

Apr 1, 2012 2:39 PM in response to edgardurbin

Try going to Settings>Mail, Contqcts...>Calender>Time Zone Support and changing the setting. The Users Guide says:

Important: When Time Zone Support is on, Calendar displays event dates and times in the time

zone of the city you selected. When Time Zone Support is off, Calendar displays events in the time

zone of your current location as can best be determined by your Internet connection. When you

travel, iPod touch may not display events or sound alerts at the correct local time. To manually set

the correct time, see “Date & Time” on page 107.

Aug 7, 2012 2:11 PM in response to edgardurbin

The current iOS calendar settings also do NOT work well for me when I am traveling.

I want to add events to my calendar with the correct time zone for the event…. BUT

Always have the event display for the correct meeting time in the calendar, regardless of which time zone I am currently located.

And allow me to set an alert for the event and have it apprise me in the right time zone.

For example, I live in Boston and I add a calendar event for a meeting in California. I enter the event to start at 2:00pm and select San Francisco as the time zone. Regardless of which time zone I set my device, the calendar should always show the event to start at 2:00pm. This would help me review my appointments on my calendar easier when I am still in my home time zone of Boston and when speaking to my contact in San Francisco, I can simply look at my calendar and reference the 2:00pm meeting and not have to calculate time zones.

AND if I have an alert/reminder set, the notification should occur for the time zone that I am located. Therefore, when I arrive in San Francisco and set my current location to PST, I will be notified appropriately for my 2:00pm meeting.

Aug 7, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Paula_Lee

Hi,

To answer your question, all you have to do is:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap Mail, Contacts, Calenders.
  3. Scroll down to the very bottom and tap Time Zone Support.
  4. Turn Time Zone Support on.
  5. Select Time Zone and type in Boston and select it from the list.

Now what will happen is:

If you have a meeting in San Francisco at 2 PM and enter an event in your calendar while still in Boston for 2 PM with a "15 Minuties Before" reminder then when you get to San Francisco your event will still display for 2 PM and the reminder will go off at1:45 PM.

NOTE: When you are making your event make sure you set the time zone (in the event settings) to Boston. Also make sure that your time zone is set to your actual location (in Date and Time settings).

Hope this helps,

Tugzrida

Aug 7, 2012 3:36 PM in response to Tugzrida

I just tried your solution and the reminder did not work. I did the following:

1. Created an event for 6:30 PM Boston time zone. Set the reminder for 5 minutes.

2. Changed my Date & Time in Settings to Chicago time.

Current Boston Time: 6:20 PM

Current Time on iPhone: 5:20 PM

At 5:25 PM on the iPhone, the reminder went off, which is wrong. I wanted the reminder to go off at 6:25 PM Chicago time on the iPhone, not at 5:25 PM (which is 6:25 PM Boston time)

Mar 8, 2016 2:31 PM in response to edgardurbin

Neither setting of the essentially undocumented "time zone override" control will ensure that your alarm goes off at the correct time (the numeric time displayed on your phone). It really doesn't appear to do anything.

Suggestions that you go into your time-zone settings and change them to another city are ridiculous, and also will not solve the problem. Tell Apple to fix this defect, and allow us to set appointments for the EXACT TIME SHOWN ON THE PHONE, regardless of where the phone is.

Otherwise, we end up with this stupidity:

User uploaded file

Mar 8, 2016 2:47 PM in response to Stokestack

Can I ask, in the appointments, what Time Zone was set?

Your first example, where you set the appointment for 7:00am, that is 9:00am in Chicago. The phone time is based on the carrier support.

Your second example, where you set the appointment for 9:00am, that is 12:00 in New York.

So, I'm just curious if both of the events were set with Pacific Time as the time for the appointment. Were both events created when you were in LA?

Mar 8, 2016 3:48 PM in response to Stokestack

I understand. Did you initiate the appointments on the iOS device versus a computer? It seems that even if you have the Time Zone Override off, there is not a setting in the iPhone calendar that allows you to change the time zone like you can on a computer. I can make adjustments in Outlook, but not in iCloud calendar or my iPhone/iPad calendar. Strange.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.