Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make my Logitech camera default on my macbook?

Hello everyone,

I have an older macbook, probably from around 2007-2008. I just recently bought a Logitech webcam to use for my job online. I go to many different chat sites,however when prompted to "Allow or Deny" my webcam it only defaults to my built in webcam and not my logitech webcam. I really need to figure this out soon so any advice is helpful.

Also I'm using google chrome and my camera is a Logitech HD Webcam c615. It works fine on skype but I need it to work on a site like..Chatroulette or something similar(I dont literally mean that site, but that kind of website)

Thank you!

MacBook (13-inch Early 2008), iOS 5.1, Logitech Camera

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:44 AM

CaseyyKay wrote: ... when prompted to "Allow or Deny" my webcam it only defaults to my built in webcam and not my logitech webcam...

I don't use your Logitech webcam or chrome, but because you can make your camera work in some apps that allow selection among connected cameras, I think you should concentrate on your Flash plug-in and its capability with your browser(s).

(1) Allow or Deny are in the Flash "Privacy" settings.

If it is possible to change cameras in your browser Flash plug-in, you will need to use the "Camera" settings choices bar instead of Privacy.

       User uploaded file

If you need help with Camera settings: http://tinyurl.com/4pswu9

(2) Unless you have updated Flash this week, verify that your Flash plug-in is the latest one that is compatible with your system.

• You can check your Flash version using this page:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

If have trouble when using the most current update, use your Mac's Disk Utility to repair permissions. Then follow Adobe's instructions here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/908/cpsid_90893.html

(3) If you still have trouble, try using Safari, Firefox, or other browsers you may have to see if the problem is the same in all. If it is the same with all browsers, check Adobe's dedicated Flash Player Forum or Flash Player Developer Center for suggestions specifically related to Flash Player capability and configuration.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.7.3

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2012 5:44 AM in response to CaseyyKay

CaseyyKay wrote: ... when prompted to "Allow or Deny" my webcam it only defaults to my built in webcam and not my logitech webcam...

I don't use your Logitech webcam or chrome, but because you can make your camera work in some apps that allow selection among connected cameras, I think you should concentrate on your Flash plug-in and its capability with your browser(s).

(1) Allow or Deny are in the Flash "Privacy" settings.

If it is possible to change cameras in your browser Flash plug-in, you will need to use the "Camera" settings choices bar instead of Privacy.

       User uploaded file

If you need help with Camera settings: http://tinyurl.com/4pswu9

(2) Unless you have updated Flash this week, verify that your Flash plug-in is the latest one that is compatible with your system.

• You can check your Flash version using this page:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

If have trouble when using the most current update, use your Mac's Disk Utility to repair permissions. Then follow Adobe's instructions here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/908/cpsid_90893.html

(3) If you still have trouble, try using Safari, Firefox, or other browsers you may have to see if the problem is the same in all. If it is the same with all browsers, check Adobe's dedicated Flash Player Forum or Flash Player Developer Center for suggestions specifically related to Flash Player capability and configuration.

Mac OSX 10.7.3

Apr 2, 2012 12:24 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thank you so much for your reply.

I did all of those things, I've been switching between Safari and Chrome to see if it maybe was just my browser. Everything, including Flash, is up to date.

One thing I don't understand is that when prompted to "Allow or Deny" my camera, my webcam "C615" shows up under the microphone drop down menu, and that works just fine. However on the drop down menu for the camera it just says "USB Video Class Video" Thats the only thing that pops up. There is nothing even related to "Isight" just the "USB Video Class VIdeo".

Thanks again for your help, however I'm still not able to use the webcam on the websights.

Apr 2, 2012 3:00 PM in response to CaseyyKay

You're welcome.

Have you checked with the dedicated Flash Player Forum or Flash Player Developer Center for suggestions specifically related to Flash Player capability; i.e., can Flash even allow selection among connected UVC webcams?

If you have checked, and if you have found that Flash does not allow selection of alternative cameras, you can try launching an app (I suggest Photo Booth) that certainly does allow camera selection. Choose your built-in iSight for that app and leave the app running to keep your Mac's iSight occupied. Then launch your browser. Now check your video website to see if Flash can automatically connect to the external camera while Photo Booth is using your inbuilt iSight.

If that does not work, and if the Flash users who post in the dedicated Flash Player Forum can't offer a solution, you may not be able to do what you want with your Mac.

If it is important that you are able to use an external camera with these websites, consider borrowing or acquiring a Mac that has no built-in camera. If cost is a consideration, a Mac mini or a used but working mini, iMac, or PowerBook with Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later might be worth its relatively low price.

Mac OSX 10.7.3

Apr 2, 2012 3:28 PM in response to EZ Jim

PS. to CaseyyKay

If you decide on a used Mac, check its system specs to be certain that it meets minimum requirements for your external camera and the browser you will use. In addition to hardware system specs, also consider the Mac OS X version.

I suggested 10.4.9 or later in my post above because that is where Apple fully implemented UVC device compliance into Mac OS X. However, if your browser requires a later version of OS X than Tiger, be sure that the used Mac you buy either has the required OS X or, at very least, can be upgraded appropriately.

Mac OSX 10.7.3

Apr 7, 2012 12:59 PM in response to CaseyyKay

Hi,

I just went to the mebeam site and I get this Pop up:-

User uploaded file

As you can see it has a Remember option (in the tab across the Bottom that refers to Settings)

I am sure this also remember which camera was set.

I am also using Lion and the Flash Version I have has a System Preferences Pane with these controls

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

User uploaded file
8:59 PM Saturday; April 7, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

How to make my Logitech camera default on my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.