Skip navigation

iChat File Transfers fail on 10.7.x Server

2676 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 4:08 AM by James Rothschild RSS
James Rothschild Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 2, 2012 1:37 AM

I started this Post over in the iChat FORUM, and it was suggested I post here too: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3840760

I have an OS X Server 10.6 setup with iChat and it works perfectly.

This Mac is connected directly to the WWW, no firewall.

I have an OS X Server 10.7 setup with iChat and it works perfectly EXCEPT for File Transfers

This Mac is connected directly to the WWW, with a Netgear FVS336Gv2.

I have opened all the correct ports for TCP & UDP and mapped them to my OSX Server 10.7 at 192.168.2.100

I am totally stumped now, why should JUST file transfers do not work?

This iChat OSX Server 10.7 is setup for people on the same server, using the same domain.

File Transfer in iChat WORKS on the internal network OK :-)

File Transfer in iChat DOESN'T WORK on external network :-(

Here is a screenshot of my routers portforwarding...

http://www.jrpmedia.co.uk/shared/Remote%20Desktop%20Picture.jpg

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Server
  • Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,805 points)
    Apr 2, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to James Rothschild)

Hi,

The Pics refer to the Router set up and then the testing you did on that.

I see nothing from either thread that says the ports are opened in the Server itself.

We both quoted using this Article

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=ServerAdmin/10.6/en/im5945b424.html

The way I read this is that these ports need to be set in the Server's Firewall ??

8:11 PM      Monday; April 2, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Hi,

Having looked at the pic and seen the post my thought would have been a yes as well.

However Server stuff is mostly beyond my knowledge and I would bow to someone with greater knowledge.

I used to recommend that people look out for replies from Tim Harris.  (he seemed to pick out the iChat issues)

However I have just checked his Profile and it shows "No Recent Activity"

Other than some people I know are level 6 or above like Camelot and Antonio Rocco I am unsure of the levels of knowledge of others posting in this forum.

10:06 PM      Tuesday; April 3, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

HI,

Today  I was checking out File transfers from an iChat 5 computer to a iChat 6.0.1  using a Googletalk ID and another Jabber ID on my (iChat 5) end and  another Jabber ID at the other.

We were both getting Failed Transfers when sending.

My end was running Little Snitch and this gave a fairly random port for the File Transfers (port 50228 on one occasion and a slightly higher number on another)

As I said I was able to check with two ID s at my end.

I then tried to send between those two IDs on that computer and that failed as well in both directions

I have returned to my Message Beta this evening and tried  the Google talk ID and another jabber ID and those failed as well.

On  third computer using Psi and yet another Jabber ID I can get a One way File transfer from Psi to GoogleTalk   (both within Psi with two logins and computer to computer)

I then double checked my Lion Firewall settings and found although IMagent was there Messages was not.

This still is not letting me Send for Googletalk on the Lion to the G4 (Psi App)

Will try a restart of Messages (to get the Firewall to "Accept")

EDIT

The Messages restart did not seem to improve things

The Psi app is giving me an error message about Ports and or Proxies (I need to look in to this further)

9:22 PM      Wednesday; April 4, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Hi,

I am getting intermittent results using a Google ID and another Jabber ID on my "iChat" Buddy lists in Messages.

I cannot see any pattern to this.

I create yet another Jabber ID but only in the Psi app on another computer

I could send files from this account in Psi  to my GoogleTalk ID on my iMac  (i.e. Client to client - iChat 4 to Messages).

However I could not send them the other way.

The Service Discovery for the new Jabber ID suggested that there was a File Transfer Proxy but I am not familiar enough with Psi to get it activated.  (The messages suggested it should be on the Google end but their Service Discovery shows nothing)

Testing at the moment seems to suggest more Client to Client issues (although that could the Servers involved).

9:05 PM      Thursday; April 5, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• ionepoch Calculating status...
    Nov 1, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to James Rothschild)

If you are having intermittent or sporadic file transfer problems.. or experiencing only one way file transfers on a local lan:

Pick One:

• 5222 TCP Client authenticates and sends txt messages to the Server on this port.(Apparently TLS if avaialble)
    • 5223 TCP Client authenticates and sends txt messages to the Server on this port.(Legacy Forced SSL)

Enable these:

• 16402 UDP ClientA communicates with ClientB directly on this port for video chat. (Apparently SIP)
    • 7777 TCP - Screwy file transfer proxy port.

From what I can tell about file transfers:

• File transfer proxy.
    • ClientA tells Server to tell ClientB that there is a file waiting to be picked up at ClientA on a "randomly" assigned ClientA port.
    • ClientB fails to directly connnect to ClientB on this "randomly" chosen port.
    • ClientA fails then reverts to proxy mode. KEY STEP
    • ClientA sends the file to the Server on this 7777 tcp port.
    • Server proxies the file to the ClientB.

Warning: Having too many directly connectable ports between ClientA and ClientB can cause confusing communcation failures for file transfers between iChat/Messages clients. If one of the clients is able to establish partial communication, it will not properly fail then revert to proxy mode.

We don't want to open a crap load of ports for file transfer and therefore prefer to have it transfer files via the server proxy port

Communication flow required to get this to go:

from clientA to server  5222-5223 (pick one), 7777 for auth and file transfer

from clientB to server  5222-5223 (pick one), 7777 for auth and file transfer

from client to client 16402 for video

The above solved our screwy partially working file transfers... hopefully this helps someone.

Nov 29, 2012 1:14 PM (in response to James Rothschild)

Hi,

I am still sure that I cannot help with that specific Console message.

However since this thread started we have discovered that for the Messages client that a item caller URLFileTransferAgent that can be seen in Activity Monitor can get stuck "On".

That is to say if you see it in Activity Monitor then generally speaking File Transfers (inc Pics-in-chats) are not working.

Stopping (Quitting) the item in Activity Monitor seem to release those "waiting" Files as  seen in the Messages App File Transfer window.

To some extent I would expect similar in iChat 6

AIM, Jabber and Yahoo Messages in iChat look like HTML in their raw form with a "Body" making up the balloon or style that you see.

Sample of an outgoing reply

<html><body ichatballooncolor="#1BC230" ichattextcolor="#040404"><font face="Arial Black" size=3 ABSZ=12><b>1</b></font></body></html>

The content is between the <b> and </b> items   (it's a reply of "1" to being potentially Logged into AIM twice)

I presume the app or even the Server can tell if the Messages is empty.

Sigcopy2.png
    9:13 PM      Thursday; November 29, 2012

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),
     Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.