Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exploit? - My iPod Shuffle 4G USB cable has IC's in its Type-A plug end

I purchased a cable for a Shuffle 4G and as a result of the cover from its Type-A USB connector-end coming loose I noticed some unexpected and potentially alarming chips installed on a PCB concealed within the connector cover.

This may be quite normal but to allay any fears I would like to know if the iPod Shuffle 4G's sync cable is 'active' - that is it understood that it will contain some electronics.

I want to assure myself that this cable isn't a USB Exploit device.

iPod shuffle, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 4:35 AM

3 replies

Oct 27, 2013 3:48 PM in response to TimUK2

It's probably legitimate. I've taken apart the little "dock" for the 2nd generation Shuffle, and it contains a circuit board with a dozen or so components. They appear to be mostly passive (resistors and capacitors), not ICs, so it may not be "active" in the usual electronics sense of the word, but it clearly isn't just a plug and some wire. Thus, I would not be surprised to find electronics in the 4th generation USB cable.

Think about what the cable has to do. One end presents a standard USB "A" plug interface, with standard power and data in/out impedances and voltage levels. The other end plugs into a jack on the Shuffle that is a headphone output most of the time, and which might actually be playing audio at the time the USB cable is plugged in. So a certain amount of electrical isolation between the two interfaces is a good idea.

- Dave

Oct 28, 2013 8:27 AM in response to dmmartindale

Thanks for the reassurance and as an electronics guy I take your point about the dual purpose headphone jack. Tho I am still curious and would like confirmation from Apple that some electronic jiggery pokery, using at least one complex IC, is to be expected within a Shuffle cable.

My concern is that one type of USB exploit innocently emulates a keyboard device which can often slip under a computer's defences.

Exploit? - My iPod Shuffle 4G USB cable has IC's in its Type-A plug end

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.