Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail says "password rejected by smtp server"

I am using Macbook Pro (OS Lion), unable to send/receive emails. I have reset all settings (no help). Problem is temporarily resolved by logging into webmail but then issue returns once Apple Mail app is shut down and then re-opened. Server tech support (Rogers/Yahoo) says that the mail client keeps sending the wrong password so the account gets locked out. Why is this happening? I have changed the password and re-entered all the mail settings

Mac Pro, Other OS

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:57 AM

6 replies

Jun 15, 2012 6:23 AM in response to newbietothis

No, I think it is a problem with Yahoo. If you search on the sprint and Verizon websites, almost everyone is having this problem especially with apple mail. One day mine works, the next day it does not. Someone suggested that yahoo changed the way mail works and that you can only have one device set to fetch mail at a time. If there are 2, they say it is a security risk. So, if you ipod is getting mail and your computer, you will have a problem. I'm not sure if this is correct. I don't know for sure, but I know LOTS of people are having this problem. Apparently calling your service provider only leads to frustration because the "techs" don't know how to fix it and try to direct you to a pay service for technical service which does not help also. One sprint technician suggested it is a problem on their end.

Sep 15, 2014 10:04 PM in response to newbietothis

To those whom have not found the solution.

This was a trick from the Live mail application. The thing that should be done to rectify this problem is this:

1. Login to your hotmail/live/live365 account through the web.
  2. Go to Settings --> Options --> Managing Your Account --> Connect devices or apps with POP
  3. There, click enable POP
  4. In event that you could not find the "Connect devices or apps with POP", re-enter password and verification when ask by them.
  5. Try accessing your hotmail/live/365 from Mail

I found out that when they change the policies, the answer from the web are now irrelevant.

Apple Mail says "password rejected by smtp server"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.