Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

share Aperture library between imac and mac book pro

I am photographer with a small business. Having switched over to Mac and Aperture 3, I am struggling to make the set up work for me!

I am run my main aperture library on my Imac and do most of my work on the imac. However, it would be useful to work on the same library on my mac book pro - i.e. whilst sitting with my family and not stuck in my office.

I use the time capsule device for back ups, and I also use the IPAD. I would like to have a shared storage area or shared library so that I can work on my photographs from either Imac or mac book pro.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 6:51 AM

7 replies

Apr 2, 2012 7:16 AM in response to SunnyKalsi

Hi SunnyKalsi,

do you want to share the Aperture Library using your network? That is not recommended by Apple. The aperture Library needs to be on a local volume, see this support article:

Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3252

The best you could do, would be to put your Aperture library onto an external drive and plug that in alternately into your iMac or your MacBook Pro.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 2, 2012 9:24 AM in response to SunnyKalsi

Sunny-

Aperture does not provide a good method to synch a Library between two computers. It is a serious limitation of Aperture and I suggest that while in Aperture you go to Aperture/Provide_Aperture_Feedback and request the ability "for a single user to synch a Library between two computers."

Note that reference above to "single-user" is important, because "multi-user" is a very different, much more expensive can of worms that most of us do not need or want.

There are many workarounds and all of them have issues of various kinds. The "sneakernet" drive Léonie describes is probably the best and certainly the safest, but do maintain very good backup protocol. Most important is to back up originals prior to import in to Aperture or any other images management application.

Aplle's failure to facilitate Library synch forced me to a different solution. Now I own just one Mac instead of two. I replaced 2006 MP + MBP with the strongest available 2011 MBP with SSD. The workflow goes where I go and and with Masters referenced and the Library on the SSD it is wicked fast and very convenient. I am replacing the optical drive with a 1 TB hard drive so Masters can live on the laptop longer (currently Masters are only kept on the laptop SSD until editing is complete).

OTOH if Apple provided supported single-user Library synch I would love to add the brute strength, desktop graphics and 4 internal drives of a Mac Pro back into the workflow.

HTH

-Allen

Nov 15, 2012 1:25 PM in response to léonie

Very bad thing that the libary cant stored on a network shared volume.

When using gigabit network this MUST be no problem.

More and More customers want to do things from a single-point of storage (Share/SAN/NAS,etc).

More and More custumers HAVE a gigabit network or better, so its a shame to apple this isnt possible with the new homeuser networkdevices that are capable enough.

share Aperture library between imac and mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.