Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with LC III

Hi, Can anyone help me with problem with my classic Macintosh LC III please ?

It worked fine when i bought it about a year ago but the started giving the dreaded booting problem due to a failed battery. At some point I decided to re-seat the ROMS (there are two - Hi & Lo) by removing them and re-inserting them into the sockets.

The sockets have two extra connectors making them longer then the ROM chips. I stupidly inserted the ROMS badly, instead of closest to the expansion bay i inserted them closest to the other side.

The ROMS got really hot to touch and i switched the LC III off and put them in properly.

Since then I have TWO problems:

A: With the FPU in place, when I switch the Mac on i get No display and no sounds... Nothing.

B: Without the FPU I still get No display and No chime sound but i DO get the sound from the speaker which it used to make just before the chime.

I have since replaced the battery with a brand new one, but I am still having these problems. I am suspecting that the FPU is probably damaged and so are the ROMS.

I have tried resetting the PRAM by holding down the appropriate keys but have had no luck.

Is there anything else I can try ?

If there is nothing else I can try would anyone know where I can get a set of ROMS or maybe somebody who can reprogramm a new set of ROMS for me ? Since i own the original ROMS and Apple no longer supports the machine would it be legal to have a new set reprogrammed ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 10:14 AM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Dougal222

In 13 years of reading/posting in these Forums, I've never come across a suggestion (or made one) to remove the ROM chips, as a means of troubleshooting startup problems. A new battery should have cured the problem, if not a PRAM zapping. I doubt you'd find anyone with the hardware needed to program a set of ROM chips. I'd suggest checking eBay for an LCIII motherboard, because I think it would be unlikely to find an auction for the ROM chips alone. I own an LC I and LC III. A couple of years after buying the LC III, I bought a spare motherboard for it at eBay, in the event of failure.

Oct 18, 2012 11:28 PM in response to Dougal222

I'm still trying to save this Macintosh. I have replaced the ROMS and the PRAM battery but still does not work.

The computer powers on and it does a small sound from the speaker but no bong. The HD starts up and the fans work. The screen remains black, no startup bong/chime.

I have tried resetting the PRAM and leaving it on all night. I tried switching on/off quickly. Nothing.

I tested the voltages from the PSU. The 12V line gives 11.8 and the 5V gives like 4.9. That should be ok no ?

I tried disconnecting the floppy drive and the HD and i have tried cleaning the motherboard with a proper PCB cleaner spray.

Is the Logic board trash ?

Nov 27, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Dougal222

"The ROMS got really hot to touch"

And you say other chips are getting hot too. If you're *sure* the ROMs (and everything else, e.g. RAM) are now inserted properly and that you have a good battery installed, then the motherboard may be fried. But to be 100% sure, you need a second LC III so you can swap parts, e.g. ROMs, power supplies, etc., to do further testing. It could just be the ROMs.

Problems with LC III

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.