Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has the NVidia GeForce 8600M GT logic board replacement program been extended by a year?

I have heard that the logic board replacement program for MacBooks Pro with the failed NVidia 8600M GT chip has been extended from 3 to 4 years after the date of original purchase. However, a local AASP had no knowledge of such an extension. Is this true? I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2.6GHz that was purchased in 2008.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 15" 2.2GHz Core2Duo (Late 2007)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:52 AM

17 replies

Apr 2, 2012 1:23 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

Tried that, doesn't work, they come back and say it's not part of the Nvida batch and then want to charge you for them to look at it.

I've got a Late 2007 15" right here I said the video is failing and took it to them, now a month later the video card is just showing garbage on the screen, exactly as others with the issue reported and had videos of.

Apr 2, 2012 1:42 PM in response to Toolshed4

My 2008 MBP had symptoms of failing video in early January 2012. It was purchased in Feb 2008 so it had a month to go on the 4year extended Nvidia warranty. It was tested and repaired by a local Apple Service Provider and had a new logic board installed at no charge. If you are within the time limit there is no problem. Otherwise contact Apple directly for an explanation.

Apr 2, 2012 1:56 PM in response to eww

eww wrote:

when you took it in, it had been more than four years since your 2007 machine was originally sold, that's why you got the response you did.

Actually it was within the time frame, it felt like it was just last month, when it was like several months ago. 😀

Just dragged the 15" recently out to see to use it for testing *cough* and low and behold it's worthless now. 😟

The problem I have is I told them at the Genius Bar the video was going, but couldn't prove it as it was very rare it occured.

But they ran their little tests and gave me a load of crap, now it's dead. $2500 down the toilet.

I know what did it, Lion. Lion was the cause, it ran like a fine machine under Snow, fscking Lion, I'm glad I didn't put that POS on my new 17"

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20091204-263/graphics-issues-plaguing-os-x- 10.7-lion-upgrades/

My word the OP, don't let the Genius Bar screw you with the same crap they gave me, call corporate and raise ****!

Apr 2, 2012 1:59 PM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

My word the OP, don't let the Genius Bar screw you with the same carp they gave me.

So your suggestion to the OP is to ignore the recall, miss the opportunity to potentially get a new logic board if determined they qualify and just deal with it because of an experience you had. That's some of the worst advice I have ever heard, especially from a L6+.

Message was edited by: shldr2thewheel--Ahh edited your post slightly I see. Even better advice. Call corporate and act like a maniac. Sure, that usually gets you far in life. Also, Lion did it? Please do explain.

Apr 2, 2012 2:05 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

shldr2thewheel wrote:

So your suggestion to the OP is to ignore the recall, miss the opportunity to potentially get a new logic board if determined they qualify and just deal with it because of an experience you had.

What carp's tail did you pull that idea out of?

I just say take it in and don't let the Genius Bar give you a lot of carp!

Flinging the defective machine on the floor, jumping up and down on it while swearing off buying another overpriced item from Apple in the front of the whole store before security tosses you out is optional. 😁

Psst, they record everything on those dam cameras so keep it controlled. 😉

Apr 2, 2012 2:33 PM in response to ds store

I was told that, initially, the computer was eligible for the extension program for three years after the purchase date, but that the cut off date had been extended to four years, which seems to be borne out by the experience of dalstott. I just have to find a local AASP who has heard about the extension. I am deeply hesitant about taking it to the Genius Bar because if they decide it doesn't qualify, I can't get a second opinion. I am not the original owner, either, and I do not know the purchase date. I only that it is Early 2008 and we are now in early 2012.

As for the carp and expletives deleted and sushi, I am at a loss for words. Thanks.

Has the NVidia GeForce 8600M GT logic board replacement program been extended by a year?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.