Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shouldn't tribute songs be removed from the iTunes store?

Has anybody else noticed a sudden exoplosion in the number of tribute tracks now available for download from the iTunes (UK) store? They seem to have become prolific recently, with the majority being (in my opinion) poorly covered or instrumental versions of current chart tracks that are yet to be released. Not only this, but the album art and titles of these tributes can sometimes very closely resemble that of the genuine track, easily causing an accidental purchase if you're using the smaller screen on your iPhone. Perhaps I'm just bitter, as I have been caught out twice now.

The problem is particularly bad if, like me, you tend to tag the songs you like using Shazam or Sound Hound and then follow the direct link from the application to the iTunes store. If you're on the move whilst you're doing this, it's very easy to accidentally purchase one of these tracks in error. And you'd better be prepared if you've enabled one touch purchasing, as your selection of tinny and barely recognisable tribute tracks is about to increase significantly.

I'm interested to know if anyone else sees this as a bit of a scam? I'm minded to email Apple with a complaint but would value the community's thoughts so I can ground myself beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:58 AM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2012 12:07 PM in response to wingcomothyallen

Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Would you ban all cover tunes as well?

No one can remake a song?

Who decides who can sell their cover songs?

You want Apple to decide who can and cannot sell their legal music on itunes, based on what? If someone has made the song/album before, then Apple should deny the legal sale of the product?

Seems like a bad idea.

Apr 2, 2012 12:01 PM in response to wingcomothyallen

If you don't like the songs, you don't have to buy them.

These forums are mainly for technical support, not ranting or venting opinions about decisions Apple has made in regard to anything, but especially something as ridiculous as to what they choose to host on the iTunes Store.

Solution: don't enable one touch purchasing, and be careful about what you touch on the screen.

Shouldn't tribute songs be removed from the iTunes store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.