Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring documents from mac to ipad

i've just downloaded pages for ipad and i'd like to tranfers word documents to my ipad. how can this be done?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 4:15 PM

Kamuti-

One way might be to mail it to yourself and open it on your iPad.

Another may be to use iTunes. Select the iPad under DEVICES on the left side of the iTunes window. Choose Apps at the top of the window and scroll down to File Sharing. Select your App (Pages) and Add the document to the Pages Documents window.

You can use this same method to transfer Pages documents back to the computer, choosing Save To instead of Add.

Fred

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2012 4:15 PM in response to kamuti

Kamuti-

One way might be to mail it to yourself and open it on your iPad.

Another may be to use iTunes. Select the iPad under DEVICES on the left side of the iTunes window. Choose Apps at the top of the window and scroll down to File Sharing. Select your App (Pages) and Add the document to the Pages Documents window.

You can use this same method to transfer Pages documents back to the computer, choosing Save To instead of Add.

Fred

Apr 2, 2012 4:28 PM in response to kamuti

What Fred has briefly explained above about file sharing - can be read in greater detail here. You need to connect your iPad to the computer when you use file sharing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4088

Once the files have been dragged into the file sharing window next to to Pages - in iTunes on your Mac - you need to tap on the + sign in Pages on the iPad and then choose - Copy from iTunes - and a window with all of the documents that you dragged into the file sharing window will pop up on the screen. You can swipe down in the list and select the document that you want to import.

Aug 20, 2013 4:22 AM in response to kamuti

Dropbox has gotten a lot of recommendations here, but it is just so complex and ugly with millions of options and buttons.

I prefer Readdle Documents: http://www.pdf-file-converter.com/how-to-transfer-pdf-to-ipad/

It is simple, beautiful and works great. It allows you to sync a folder over dropbox. This way you just put a file into a folder on your computer and it gets uploaded to dropbox. Then you start Documents on your iPad and sync the folder, which downloads the file for reading and annotating to your iPad.

Oh, and its free!

transferring documents from mac to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.