Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort with my own key

I want to sort something where I can make my own key to sort. I want to sort measurments, but not alphabetically; ie. cups, oz, lb, etc. Can I create my own key somehow to sort?

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:56 PM

AKA Custom Sort:

It took me several hours but I figured it out. If you want to sort something that you know has some kind of value it is not to hard.

1. Open Inspector
  2. Click on Cell Inspecor
  3. Under "Cell Format" click on custom
  4. (I wanted to order measurments, I put in the first condition "c is greater than Tbs"
  5. Then I clicked on the "+" and added "Tbs is greater than tsp"; and so on.
  6. Then I went to the table and highlighted the column of meausements and chose the custome formate I just created.
  7. Then sorted by that column and it put my measuements in order for me. In short it is not alphabetical, but it is kind of adding a numeric value to a letter(s).

I hope this helps who want to custome sort.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2012 5:56 PM in response to kepturner

AKA Custom Sort:

It took me several hours but I figured it out. If you want to sort something that you know has some kind of value it is not to hard.

1. Open Inspector
  2. Click on Cell Inspecor
  3. Under "Cell Format" click on custom
  4. (I wanted to order measurments, I put in the first condition "c is greater than Tbs"
  5. Then I clicked on the "+" and added "Tbs is greater than tsp"; and so on.
  6. Then I went to the table and highlighted the column of meausements and chose the custome formate I just created.
  7. Then sorted by that column and it put my measuements in order for me. In short it is not alphabetical, but it is kind of adding a numeric value to a letter(s).

I hope this helps who want to custome sort.

Sort with my own key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.