Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3g not working on ipad3 but working on ipad2

Hi,

First post here.

I would like to explain my problem with 3g in short.

Ipad 2 att version umts freq 850 900 1900 2100

Ipad 3 att vesrion umts freq 850 900 1900 2100

I'm outside the usa now. The local carrier has 3g hpsa+/umts is using freq 850.

The sim card with proper apn setting in the ipad 2 i have 3g without a problem. When i put the same simcard in the in the ipad 3 i dont get 3g at all i only get edge. Both ipad in general about show carrier 12.0.

Called apple support they couldn't help me at all please see your local carrier.

I know bought ipad have the same freq for umts i know i have the correct apn setting.

No clue why it wouldn't work with 3g on the new ipad. I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks in advance

iPad, iOS 5.1, New ipad

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 9:51 PM

13 replies

Apr 3, 2012 7:40 AM in response to CalvinBaank

This is a known issue, albeit one that Apple hasn't officially confirmed. I am an Apple reseller in the Cayman Islands and personally own an iPad 2 and iPad 3. The local carriers support HSPA+ 2100MHz. On my iPad 2 I connected to the locall carriers 3G network, due to the lack of HSPA+ support. With the iPad 3 I was looking forward to connecting via '4G' HSPA+. Both local carriers have confirmed that their networks are compatible with the new iPad 3, and they also pointed out that several 'other manufacturers tablets' are working fine on their 4G networks via HSPA+. However, when I transferred my SIM from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 I could only connect via EDGE. I tried resetting the iPad, restoring the iPad, swapping SIM cards etc. Nothing works. On these forums I have seen similar postings from users in Japan, Singapore and elsewhere. So it is a software rather than a hardware issue and one that Apple will hopefully resolve in iOS 5.1.1 or earlier via a modem firmware or carrier update.

Apr 12, 2012 1:50 PM in response to CalvinBaank

Probblem:3G not connecting at all with local carrier card

Networks in Suriname:

Digicel: GSM/EDGE only

Frequency:

Uniqa: GSM and UMTS/HSPA+

Frequency:UMTS 850mhz band

GSM 900mhz Band

Sim Card:USIM

Telesur: GSM and UMTS/HSPA+

Frequency:UMTS2100mhz band

Uplink 1960-1980 mhz

Downlink 2150-2170 mhz

GSM 900 mhz Band, 1800 mhz Band
900mhz Uplink 890.20 mhz – 902.40 mhz

Downlink935.20 mhz – 947.40 mhz

1800mhz

Specifications ipad radio frequency:

iPad 2:GSM/EDGE 8500/900/1800/1900 mhz

UMTS/HSPA 850/900/1900/2100 mhz

iPad 3: GSM/EDGE 8500/900/1800/1900 mhz

UMTS/HSPA 850/900/1900/2100 mhz

LTE 700/2100 mhz

After each test:

-Reset network settings

-Reset Setting

-Reset and clear contents

-Restore through iTunes

always setup ipad as new ipad, no backup restore

Also tried forcing on network, removing ipad from carrier automatic

Tried different new sim card Uniqa network and telesur network

Test performed:

Ipad 3rd gen:

Uniqa sim card, Network UNIQA: Results EDGE only no 3g

Uniqa staff(CTO) put a trace on the phone number(ipad 3 never tries to connect to 3g network. It doesn’t fail it just never connects, it connect straight to EDGE/GSM network. Apn entered correctly.

SIM ICCID reading in General -> About

Cellular Data Number “unknown” in General -> About

2) Telesur sim card: Result “No service”

When you turn automatic carrier select off, you do see all 3 networks. When selecting telesur GSM you will still have no service

Restoring iPad from iTunes 4 times in a row.. Telesur network now works.

3)ATT sim card(activated in the USA) added international roaming plan

After 1 minute it connects/roams on UNIQA with 3g, you can browse use everything.

Cellular Data Number “+1786….” in General -> About

If I have 3g connection with ATT roaming sim on Uniqa 3g network I get disconnected from 3G by doing any of these steps and 3g will never come back up:

Switch cellular data on/off

Airplane mode on/off

Ipad to sleep

Turn off ipad

However to get 3G back just connect ipad to power(usb cable + orginal charger) now you get 3g instantly back can do data on/off, airplane mode on/off, ipad to sleep, turn of ipad and you will get 3G back. If power not connected only a erase content and reset will get you 3G back

4) Digicel sim card: ipad goes on digicel edge network, with correct apn browsing works

Ipad 2nd gen:

Uniqa sim card, Network UNIQA: Results network connection on 3g

Browsing and everything works.

Trace on the phone # in the switch of Uniqa, ipad 2 connects to 3g

Telesur sim cardNon 3g:Edge network browsing works

3G usim:3G working and browsing works

ATT sim card with roaming: Result: roams on Uniqa 3g network within 5 seconds

4) Digicel sim card: ipad goes on digicel edge network, with correct apn browsing works

Questions:

How can att sim roam on Uniqa 3g and uniqa’s sim doesn’t connect on 3G but EDGE only

How can telesur sim card work(edge and 3g) in ipad 2 and show no service in ipad3?(after flashing 4 times, working on edge, couldn’t test 3g)

Both iPad 2 and iPad 3 have identical frequencies for GSM and UMTS but still I get “no service” or “edge only” on ipad 3

Other networks/Countries problems too:

Problems with new Ipad 3 on edge only and ipad 2, ipad 1, iphone, 4 iphone 4S confirmed cases in Cayman Islands, Suriname, Costa Rica, Japan, Indonesia.

Calls to Apple Support:

First call:

Restore network setting

Reset all settings

Result no 3g on Uniqa

2nd call:

Explain att working

Restore ipad through iTunes

Results: no 3g on Uniqa

3rd call:

Apple assistant said the problem could be:

-Hardware problem

-Software bug

-Network incompatible with ipad 3(why does it work with ipad2)

-Sim card not good(tried that no luck)

Apple would like to diagnose the ipad, I agreed to send ipad in for testing with this report and sim cards

This is my testing and report that will go to apple with ipad and sim cards

Fyi received a verizon model today no luck at all no 3g on uniqa, telesur sim working in both awaiting my telesur 3g sim card

Jan 10, 2013 6:45 AM in response to CleaverT

CleaverT, we travel from the U.S. to Cayman every few years for vacation. We are returning this May and are bringing iPad 3rd generation and iPad Mini with us both on AT&T data plans. Can you tell me if I need to do something special to have a connection on these devices on Seven Mile Beach? I sure do appreciate your help. Thank you.

3g not working on ipad3 but working on ipad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.