Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple iCloud Accounts?

I thought I had a grasp on all this, but I am now a little confused and can't find an exact answer to my question, so I started a new thread...

Here is what I am trying to do:

My wife and I each have a Mac and an iPhone.

I have one main AppleID that I have had for years (from .Mac to MobileMe years) and have done all my purchasing for the various App/Music Stores, primary email, and is now my iCloud account. For ease I will call it Mine@mac.com (or Mine@me.com).

My wife also has an iPhone and a Mac and I set up an email address for her years ago under my now defunct MobileMe Family Account (Hers@me.com). I have not updated it to iCloud yet.

I want to be able for her to use the Hers@me.com for her email on her iPhone and Mac and the Mine@me.com for all the other iCloud stuff (Find My iPhone, Cal, Address book, reminders, photostream etc). Will this still work when I upgrade her account to iCloud? Can you have 2 iCloud accounts activated on the same iPhone and Mac like this?

The next level I want to achieve is to create a THIRD email: Ours@me.com that we both have access to on each of our iPhones and each of our Macs. so the question would then be, can I still create an email address with the address @me.com or is that address gone now and replaced with something else? And second can you have multiple iCloud email addresses going into a unified email inbox?

I hope that makes sense to someone reading it.

iMac 20in (Intel), MacBook Pro (2.53GHz), Original iPhone, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:20 PM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2017 2:54 PM in response to TosaDeac

i currently only have one, my wife and i were using the same one for many, many years. all of our purchases are through that one account. Quite A few updates back, it started to merge our contacts, so we shut off the icloud function, and its been fine until about 3 updates ago, now all of our calls and missed calls are instantly merged on our phones. we share purchases, and calendars and reminders and notes, along with email accounts and other goodies, but it drives us nuts to see that i missed a call from myself. so i'm wondering how i set up a new icloud account to segregate our contacts and calls, but keep access to purchases. Also, we just got my daughter a phone, and we really want to segregate her phone from ours, but allow her access to our purchases. Looking for info and help!

May 3, 2012 6:36 PM in response to TosaDeac

You can create the third apple id, but there is no way that I know of to log into more than one iCloud account at one time on a device. Signing into iCloud automatically creates the account in Mail. So, you would have to sign out of one to sign into the other.

You could log into iCloud.com website with the "ours" account. Put a bookmark to the iCloud website and you can both access it there, while accessing your main iCloud account in Mail. This would be a good option if you don't mind webmail. Of course, there will be no syncing anything else this way, but you could still read common mail there.

You could also just get another email account such as gmail and use that for your together account. This would probably be the easiest solution. Set it up on both devices as IMAP and everything will stay in sync.

For multiple iCloud email addresses belonging to the same apple id, but not separate apple ids, they will all go to the iCloud account. You can only have one main address per apple id, but you can create 3 aliases to the account. Problem is they will all be under the 1 iCloud account in the message list and you will have to look at the address sent to to know which one it is. You could create a rule to move messages of a particular address to another folder or a smart mailbox to show messages to a specific address if that's a problem.

May 3, 2012 8:05 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

You can definitely sign into more than one iCloud account on a Mac and an iDevice. The primary one should be set up in Settings > iCloud. This should be the account you would like to use for photostream and primary syncing (in the OPs case "Mine@me.com"). Other iCloud accounts can be set up under Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars > Add Account > iCloud. These accounts can also be used to sync everything but photostream.

Remember to set your default calendar and contacts for when you're adding events and contacts since you'll now have multiple accounts for each.

This can also be done on a Mac. If you wanted to have more than one iCloud account set up for a single user account on a Mac, it's very much the same process (System Preferences > iCloud (for primary) or Mail, Contacts & Calendars for others). Any non-primary iCloud accounts set up this way can only sync Mail, Contacts and Calendars.

May 3, 2012 8:53 PM in response to theJingster

You're correct. Athough you can only sign into one iCloud account, I didn't realize you could add another in that way through the Mail, Contacts, & Calendars icon. Added my wife's iCloud account to my computer with mine and it worked great. Never too old to learn something new.

Thanks Jingster

To TosaDeac

I said no way I new of to do that. Guess I was wrong.

May 3, 2012 8:58 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

I kind of forgot that I posted this question a while ago. I eventually played around with it and created a few new iCloud email accounts and was able to get it all to work. So far so good. The only annoying thing is on the iOS devices you can have a unified inbox, but all the mailboxes have to be divided into each individual account. Just makes a few extra clicks to put emails from our joint email into a mailbox folder that we can both jointly see. It would also be nice if you could change Apple IDs since I purchased all my music/movies/apps with my personal iCloud account and it would be nice to have it all go to the joint one instead...but that is getting nitpicky.

Thanks for responding though

Multiple iCloud Accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.