Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer all my iPhoto library to an external drive without losing the organising

My iMac's internal drive is almost full - mainly with 25,000 photos accumulated over the last 10 years. These are carefully sorted into Events, Smart Albums, etc., and given titles, ratings, etc.

As my iMac is becoming rather 'clunky' with little space left, I want to transfer most or all of my iPhoto library onto a newly purchased 1TB external hard drive to be used just for photos / movies.

I already have another external hard drive linked to Time Machine backing up everything on the iMac.

I followed Apple's support team's instruction to create iPhoto on the new external hard drive (My Passport) - and then drag and drop the existing iPhoto library onto it from the Master file.

It's successfully copied all 25,000 photos into the new iPhoto library on My Passport, but I'm dismayed to find that all the original events, titles, etc. are now all shuffled up and haphazard, with all titles, grading, etc. apparently gone.

Fortunately I haven't yet started to delete the photos on the original Iphoto library on my internal hard drive .................. but surely there's a way to 'back up' my iPhoto library without losing all the hard work I've put into the organising & editing ............isn't there ???

What am I doing wrong?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 4:57 AM

I followed Apple's support team's instruction to create iPhoto on the new external hard drive (My Passport) - and then drag and drop the existing iPhoto library onto it from the Master file.

Don't know who told you that but it would be difficult to be more wrong.

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2012 4:57 AM in response to Giggleswick

Don't know who told you that but it would be difficult to be more wrong.

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

How do I transfer all my iPhoto library to an external drive without losing the organising

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.