Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes freezes at sign-out or if closing while signed in

Current version 10.6.0.40 on Windows XP MCE SP3. Every time I sign out of iTunes (used on a shared PC), iTunes freezes but with no error messages. Same thing if I simply close iTunes while signed in. My display gets corrupted and I can free it, and my PC, up again by forcing a shutdown of iTunes via Task Manager. If not signed in, it closes normally.

This behaviour has been occurring for some time, through several version updates. The iTunes Store functions normally while signed in - it's just the freezing at sign-out, or closure while signed in, that is a problem.

Windows XP

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 7:28 AM

Just updated to 10.6.1.7 and now iTunes freezes when I try to sign in.

9 replies

Apr 4, 2012 11:06 AM in response to wiclee

iTunes opens after the upgrade, as long as I am not signed in to the Store. It is the process of signing out, and now, signing in, that causes the freeze up.

wiclee, the article mentions only the "SC Info.sidb" file. I have other files in that directory, with similar names. Do they all have to be deleted? What are the impacts of removing those?

Apr 4, 2012 12:36 PM in response to wiclee

Thanks wiclee. I'll try that when I can get a chance. It may be a day or after the weekend.

Apple Support (ExpressLane) for iTunes seems to be sending me around in circles but getting no where yet. Even the toll-free number provided suggests I go back to apple.com/support. The email response I get back from my support request seems very "canned" and circular, if not automated.

Apr 16, 2012 9:11 AM in response to wiclee

Deleting the SC Info.sidb file and repairing my QT install seems to at least allow me to sign in to the iTunes Store again, but trying to close iTunes while signed in, or sign out of iTunes store still results in an immediate freeze up.

Just as an aside, what components should be allowed through the Windows firewall for proper iTunes functioning? Currently, I have allowed no exceptions. Running an iTunes diagnostic goes smoothly, with no errors on the Network Connectivity side. I haven't run the other aspects - they don't seem relevant to this issue.

Correction:

iTunes sign-in seems to be intermittent. Works sometimes; freezes trying to sign in at other times. Original issue with sign-out still exists always.

BTW: Signing in and out of Apple Community Support on the same machine does not present a problem.

May 22, 2012 6:01 AM in response to CRfromNL

It has taken a while, but my problem is finally solved. I did speak with a telphone support person from Apple (THANKS Kathy). She very patiently worked through a series of troubleshooting steps to try and resolve the issue and had several references to the Apple support engineers along the way. Unfortunately, everything offered and tried proved uncuccessful (updated to latest version of iTunes; turned off firewalls, turned off AV software, tried selective startup procedure, started iTunes in SafeMode, fully uninstalled all Apple software and reinstalled, updated PC drivers and firmware, followed all possible steps from TS1421. My internet connection was proxied, but turning it off was not an option. iTunes on another PC moved to the same network connection worked fine. An instance of iTunes in a virtual machine on my original PC also worked fine.

In the end, the problem lay with my IP stack or network configuration somehow, although I can't say exactly what. The fix occured after I tried the computer on another network. It worked there and then when connecting it back to my original network (with no configuration changes from original), it worked. I guess the IP stack or some network cofiguration files must have gotten flushed/refreshed/reset by the network change and now everything is back to normal.

iTunes freezes at sign-out or if closing while signed in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.