Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating and inserting a cutaway from a video still

I am trying to get a still image from a video clip in iMovie '11 and insert it into a longer clip within my project as a cutaway. So, I want to have the still image (from video) NOT change my audio track. I can achieve this with a photo, but not with a still video image. Is it possible? If not, then is there a way of exporting a still video image and then having iMovie look at it and reimport? I am guessing I am just overlooking something - but, I just can't seem to figure it out.

Several, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I work with several different model Apples

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 9:19 AM

11 replies

Apr 3, 2012 9:23 AM in response to RobRR

I would suggest that you first create the photo still. Then drag it in to iMovie as if it were a normal photo to create your cutaway.

First, get an app called MPEG Streamclip, which is free. (google MPEG Streamclip from Squared 5)

Open MPEG Streamclip.

In iMovie, select the clip you need. Then, right-click/Reveal in Finder.

Drag this clip into MPEG Streamclip

In MPEG Streamclip, move the playhead to the frame you want.

In MPEG Streamclip, click FILE/EXPORT FRAME.

Choose JPEG, TIFF, or PNG and give it a name.

You can then drag this photo into iPhoto.

Here is a video I made that steps through this...

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Apr 3, 2012 10:15 AM in response to RobRR

To add to an alternative to AppleMan's method.

A way that i have done. Make the video show in the imovie browser screen, move the clip to desired spot for pic, Take screen shot (Shift+Comm+4) of the browser screen(top right)> should be in finder/desktop. drag it in project.

Bottom line: Any place you can pause/stop and make the screen shot look nicer.

Hope this helps

Apr 3, 2012 1:46 PM in response to 1Sidekick

@1Sidekick - Thanks. Feel free to answer any time. You were perfectly fine within forum etiquette, expecially if you have a method that works and you have tried it yourself.

I don't use your method myself because the MPEG Streamclip method preserves the resolution of the original clip, and your method goes through several transformations to produce something at the resolution of the screen rather than the original clip, and may or may not be acceptable quality.

But, in general, your post was fine. I hope to see you an the boards.

Apr 5, 2012 7:36 AM in response to RobRR

AppleMan1958 - just wanted to say your process worked great, couldn't ask for better. So, learning this method begs the question, could I do the same thing with a video only clip? Meaning, I lay down my primary narrative clip and then drop onto (or over) either still images (as you have discribed above) OR moving video images that have no audio and the audio from my original clip is uncut. Is that possible from within iMovie?

To say it another way, I want to be able to use a video (or still) as a cutaway instead of a hard edit thereby keeping my original audio track in tact. Possible?

Thanks

Creating and inserting a cutaway from a video still

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.