Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal hotspot wheel keeps spinning

Hello,

I think I may have found the issue with everyone's battery life... It seems that when your cellular data network is active your personal hotspot will constantly be doing something... Even if like me, you don't have that covered on your plan. I know that it's not actually set up because I can't see it on my other devices, but it's killing my battery SO fast... I found some temporary solutions like, resetting your netword settings, or turnin off your phone popping out the sim card then putting it back in and turning it on... But as soon as you disable the cellular data network or put your phone in airplane mode an then turn it back on... The personal hotpot will just keep spinning... Does anyone know a permanant fix to this?

And I have been looking around for fixes and came across one person that said, "it's like a fridge when you open the door the ligh comes on and when you close it it goes off" meaning that when I look at the network tab it will spin, but when I'm not looking at it, it's actually doing nothing... This isn't the case cause I left it on one day just to check and:

With it off at 40%

Usage: 5 hours 20 mins

Standby: 20

With it on at 40%

Usage: 2 hours

Standby: 7 hours

As you can see, there is a significant impact on battery life

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 1:14 PM

2 replies

May 10, 2012 9:14 AM in response to duke605

I too have this concern. I find that if I turn Cell Data off the Personal Hotspot goes away -- but what fun is an iPhone if I can't use email, Internet and the other things my Data Plan fee covers? I want the personal hotspot to not continue to search.

I've read the comments comparing the spinning icon to the refrigerator light -- you only see it when you open the door or go to the settings page of the Personal Hotspot. If the hotspot setting was like opening a browser page -it only searches for a connection when activated, I'd buy the refrigerator argument. But the hotspot is more like the wi-fi or blue tooth connection -- constantly searching to make it available to the user.

I want to know the personal hotspot is not attempting to make connection. I also feel my battery is running low very fast. I have only had my phone less than two days and am concerned about the battery life an my ability to use the phone as intended. I have not collected data the way duke605 has, but I am about ready to. I see that this is a popular issue in the blogs. I'd expect some feedback from an Apple representative.

Personal hotspot wheel keeps spinning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.