Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro getting hot

macbook pro getting hot

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 2:26 PM

11 replies

Apr 3, 2012 2:59 PM in response to sherifromperryton

They do run hot, especially newer i5s etc and if using GPU heavily

This is not MacBook territory (forum)

Use a fan control program, and instead of just "hot" get a program to monitor thermal sensors and fan settings.

www.apple.com/support/macbookpro

and if you think it is hot now, they run even warmer under Wndows, lack of SMC thermal fan control.

Apr 16, 2012 12:07 PM in response to BrookeiMac

What happened to me is my 3 yr old MacBook Pro started getting warmer then usual....not enough to worry about yet. Then it started getting really hot and the trackpad started acting up...clicking on things by itself, etc.

Turned out my battery was still functioning fine but it was heating up and swelling pushing up on the trackpad. Does not heat up at all with the new battery.

Try running your Pro with the battery out and adapter plugged in. Does it still get hot? I never checked my charger to see if it got hot.

May 20, 2012 2:46 PM in response to sherifromperryton

May 19, 2012My Macbook Pro 15" Early 2008 model had been running hot for a long time.

Checked Activity Monitor. (Applications/Utilities)

AdobeResourceSynchronizer was taking 83% of CPU usage.

Did a google search and found information regarding AdobeResourceSynchronizer causing high CPU usage and heat.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/822790

Problem seems to be Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app

To disable go to: System Preferences > Accounts

Click the Padlock icon, enter password if needed, click Login Items,

uncheck AdobeResourceSynchronizer

I don't know how this got install on this computer.

I suspect Adobe Reader. AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app is within the Adobe Reader application package.

Control Click (or right click) the Adobe Reader app, click Show Package Contents

Location: Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Support/AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app

Some other Adobe applications may also cause this to run.

After disabling this in System Preferences > Accounts, temperature seems to be acceptable.

Also start Adobe Reader X, go to Preferences, Tracker and in the "Automatically Check for New Comments and Form Data", slide the top slider all the way to the right so is says Never.

After having done all this and restarted the computer, check Activity Monitor again and see if

AdobeResourceSynchronizer is still running. If it is you can click on it so it is highlighted and click the Quit button in the upper left.

This solved my excess heat problem.

May 20, 2012 2:51 PM in response to sherifromperryton

May 19, 2012My Macbook Pro 15" Early 2008 model had been running hot for a long time.

Checked Activity Monitor. (Applications/Utilities)

AdobeResourceSynchronizer was taking 83% of CPU usage.

Did a google search and found information regarding AdobeResourceSynchronizer causing high CPU usage and heat.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/822790

Problem seems to be Adobe Resource Synchronizer.app

To disable go to: System Preferences > Accounts

Click the Padlock icon, enter password if needed, click Login Items,

uncheck AdobeResourceSynchronizer

I don't know how this got install on this computer.

I suspect Adobe Reader. AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app is within the Adobe Reader application package.

Control Click (or right click) the Adobe Reader app, click Show Package Contents

Location: Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Support/AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app

Some other Adobe applications may also cause this to run.

After disabling this in System Preferences > Accounts, temperature seems to be acceptable.

Also start Adobe Reader X, go to Preferences, Tracker and in the "Automatically Check for New Comments and Form Data", slide the top slider all the way to the right so is says Never.

After having done all this and restarted the computer, check Activity Monitor again and see if

AdobeResourceSynchronizer is still running. If it is you can click on it so it is highlighted and click the Quit button in the upper left.

This solved my excess heat problem.

Dec 31, 2012 9:51 AM in response to sherifromperryton

KEY TO THE ISSUE: Use your Activity Monitor to figure out what is running at such a high rate. (Applications/Utilities).

In my case, it was an Adobe Flash garbage program that was constantly burning up power and CPU capacity. My activity monitor showed it was burning at 175% of CPU capacity. That is why I was running a bit slow as well. I stopped the activity using the "stop sign" button in the Activity Monitor, and then unistalled the Flash program.

If there is something wrong with a computer, it is generally related to Adobe.

So, if your Mac is running hot while you are taxing the system running heavy-hitter games, then that is to be expected. However, if it is just while you are browsing the web, then check your Activity Monitor.

macbook pro getting hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.