Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Setting Questions in Lion?

I noticed (since iCloud switch-over?) that some network settings have changed. I see that under the WINS tab, Workgroup is now active as WORKGROUP? And under the Proxies tab, Web Proxy (HTTPS) is now checked?

In Mail Prefs, the Incoming Mail Server is p01-imap.mnail.me.com? What is the p01-? I've never seen that before?

Under the Advanced tab, Authentication was not Password but Token? That seems like a mistake, no?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 10:21 PM

I see that under the WINS tab, Workgroup is now active as WORKGROUP?

In a number of Windows versions, Microsoft used WORKGROUP as the default name of a network workgroup that was not operating in a domain. That is, the network was not under the control of a Windows Domain Controller.

And under the Proxies tab, Web Proxy (HTTPS) is now checked?

In my case, I verified that this was not checked.

In Mail Prefs, the Incoming Mail Server is p01-imap.mnail.me.com? What is the p01-? I've never seen that before?

For me, this value was: p02-imap.mail.me.com as my iCloud mail server. The "p01" or "p02" is what Apple decided to name their incoming mail servers. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Under the Advanced tab, Authentication was not Password but Token? That seems like a mistake, no?

Not necessarily. Again, this was a decision by Apple for iCloud mail service authentication.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2012 10:21 PM in response to WildBill

I see that under the WINS tab, Workgroup is now active as WORKGROUP?

In a number of Windows versions, Microsoft used WORKGROUP as the default name of a network workgroup that was not operating in a domain. That is, the network was not under the control of a Windows Domain Controller.

And under the Proxies tab, Web Proxy (HTTPS) is now checked?

In my case, I verified that this was not checked.

For me, this value was: p02-imap.mail.me.com as my iCloud mail server. The "p01" or "p02" is what Apple decided to name their incoming mail servers. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Not necessarily. Again, this was a decision by Apple for iCloud mail service authentication.

Jun 11, 2012 7:36 PM in response to bikendrajit

bikendrajit, have you gotten an answer to your issue elsewhere?

Found this on a different thread, though it's applicabe to someone running Leopard, not Lion.

guys... I've tried every solutions i've found in this and some other forums to let my leopard connected with windows PCs and i FOUND THE SOLUTION!

now i can:-

• browse for every computers (mac & pcs) on my network easily

• connect to every computer with clicking on the list on finder SHARED sidebar

what i did is:

• reinstall leopard update 10.5.1 ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...051update.html )

• reboot

• go to system preferences > network ...create a new location (automatic location will prevent you from changing the WINS details), then click APPLY

• now click advanced... on TCP/IP tab, turn off IPv6 configuration then APPLY

• now go to WINS tab, enter your workgroup name ( i've entered WORKGROUP on my mac ) and add a WINS server address ( i dont have a server so i enter my router ip address ) then click OK > APPLY

• reboot and my mac succesfully detects all macs and PCs on my network. They're also listed on my SHARED sidebar.

If this doesn't work, I suggest you start a new thread.

Network Setting Questions in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.