Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro having many OS issues

Hello, since upgrading to Lion on my Macbook pro I've been having numerous issues related to the operating system. The issues started with the laptop not handling waking from sleep very well. Sometimes there would be a persistent black screen, othertimes the login box would not appear and I'd either have to wait for a while, press various keys, or reclose the screen and reopen it after a few minutes. Then I began to have pretty subpar performance with various applications. This could be anywhere from using very low intensity programs like just safari, pages and iTunes, to just using Photoshop or just using Aperture. My macbook is the second most recent 15'' Macbook Pro (2.66 GHz) with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM... so I don't think it's an insufficient or faulty hardware issue. Now, along with the waking issues and inconsistent performance, I've started to have other interface issues. I will be randomly logged out, my folders on the sidebar of the Finder have dissapeared. I've restarted numerous times and checked for updates consistently. I've been a Mac user for a very long time and have never had any issues with performance like these ones. Reminds me of the few, but cursed times when I have to boot into Windows! 😉

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 5:28 PM

3 replies

Apr 3, 2012 5:35 PM in response to dtmeadows

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select Help from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in Mac OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  • Press the power button.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Apr 5, 2012 8:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your reply Linc.

So I completed both steps. Logging into the guest account appeared to fix all the problems I've been having (althogh many of them are sporadic and not easily recreatable): performance was not clunky in the least, web loading was flawless (YouTube really hangs up my normal account) and waking and sleeping went fine.

Booting into safe mode didn't really seem to change anything with the system, if only make it clunkier.

So what's the next step?

Apr 5, 2012 9:29 AM in response to dtmeadows

Repairing the permissions of a home folder in Lion is a complicated procedure. I don’t know of a simpler one that always works.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go â–č Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

chmod -R -N ~

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. When a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) appears below what you entered, it’s done. You may see a few error messages about an “invalid argument” while the command is running. You can ignore those. If you get an error message with the words “Permission denied,” enter this:

sudo !!

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

Next, boot from your recovery partition by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the recovery desktop appears, select Utilities â–č Terminal from the menu bar.

In the Terminal window, enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press return. A Reset Password window opens.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select ïŁż â–č Restart from the menu bar.

Macbook Pro having many OS issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.