Skip navigation

Why my Wallpaper resetted each time reboot/restart?

1104 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 9:27 AM by Jauhari RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Jauhari Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 3, 2012 5:07 PM

This is really pain and didn't good for me.

Why my Wallpaper reseted each time I restart my MacBook Pro? This is not just resetted but also all my wallpaper configuration set back to the default setting.

Any guide how to permanently fix it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Windows 7
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,760 points)

From the Finder menu bar, select Go ▹ Go to Folder... and copy the following line into the text box that opens:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

A Finder window will open with an item selected. Press the key combination command-I to open the Info window. In the Sharing & Permissions section of that window, do you have read & write access? Is the item locked? What is its modification date?

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

ls -Oel ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.*.plist

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
    • Press the power button.
    • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

While in safe mode, change your desktop background. Then log out without rebooting, and log back in. Is the change retained?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Back up all data.

Boot from your recovery partition by holding down the key combination command-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the Recovery desktop appears, reinstall the Mac OS. You don't need to erase the boot volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac didn’t ship with Lion, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade, so make a note of those before you begin.

• Topher Kessler Level 6 Level 6 (9,305 points)

Where are the photos used for your desktop stored on your system? Have you tried using a photo that is directly in the Finder or are you using a photo in a library such as iPhoto or Aperture? Is the photo on the main boot drive, or is it on a networked volume or a secondary hard drive on your system? Try copying the photo from its current location to your home folder or to your Desktop, and then use the system preferences to select it as the desktop photo. When this is done, try restarting to see if it sticks.

Does it's mean we need to CLEAN INSTALL to fix my Wallpaper Problem?

No, that's not what I wrote. When you boot into Recovery, the next step will be obvious.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.