Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else having crash on startup issues for the boxed version of logic pro studio?

ever since the 9.1.7 update i get nothing but crashes when I start logic pro. Logic express does not crash but i need to be able to use space designer etc and they aren't supported in express. tried restoring 9.1.6 then updating it again in case the update was corrupted. no change. tried updating from both software update in the standalone download. same for both. crash crash crash. this was the over priced version studio upgrade i bought to update express 9... just a couple months before they dropped it to the price of the preinstalled express. I wasn't happy. now the crashing is agravating me more. the log is claiming kernal panic. something in logic is causing it. hardware configuration has not changed at all.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:24 PM

23 replies

Apr 4, 2012 1:58 AM in response to plsfixit

Yes, I am having similar problems - although the crashes occur in conjunction with memory problem messages. Release 9.1.6 was in my case absolutely problem-free . I am still investigating the symptoms with 9.1.7 - some of the issues I have been experiencing :

1. Songs need much longer to load. (20 Minutes ( 1/2 hour)

2. After loading a large song Logic terminates with storage problems - the logic message claims to have created a saved file - a file which I cannot identify afterwards (don't need it anyway, since I have no opportunity to change anything

3. While testing with the same song I experience different behaviour from Logic - so I am going to check if a Logic restart (or system restart) is necessary to create consistent results (problems)

Apr 4, 2012 6:19 PM in response to surbahar

I reloaded 9.1.6 aand the problem continues exactly the same. At some point something has changed. I keep sending in error logs but as usual the feedback from apple is rare if not non exsistant. I would finish the project in express but many of them use pro plugins like space designer etc. Who do we complain to? This is lost productivity.

May 21, 2012 11:41 AM in response to plsfixit

I solved my problem by opening a new project and using the import Feature to import all the files and settings of the original project that were causing problems under 9.1.7. Anyone having problems with starting Logic 9.1.7 should check their preferences file if they automatically open the last project automatically (on startup) .

May 21, 2012 11:43 AM in response to CCTM

this was tried. Now another problem has arrived. I noticed since i removed the com.apple.logicpro.plist file it does not self propagate after attempting to restart logic. In fact logic crashes before it gets a chance. All those steps have been done over and over again methodically. I have even reinstalled the OS twice. It still very suspicious that its the only DAW as well as version of the DAW (since there is still a working copy of Express in another folder). Ableton works fine, Reaper works fine. Ardour works fine. Reason works fine. Garageband had an issue when the problem arose but it seems to be workign fine now. Could this be a problem exclusive to the mid 2010 quad i5 iMacs? I was hoping apple would help somehow. I don't want this problem to crop up if I buy a new macbookpro and just have wasted another 1500-2k just to make logic pro work and have it fail. Did they disable the boxed versions?

May 21, 2012 12:26 PM in response to plsfixit

that's how i installed the software i when it came out around september 2009 (from boxed CDs however NOT an upgrade from Express but a complete new installation of Logic Pro - I did not have Express beforehand) - I have since then merely applied the updates as they became available without problems up to 9.1.7 - and reimporting my projects as new projects under 9.1.7 seems to have solved the problems I had - albeit after a couple of weeks of frustration and experimentation. I'm still running on a 13'' macbook (2006) with 2GB storage - there should really not be a problem with your newer imac .

Did Express also have this file ? :

If you have upgraded from Logic Pro 7, you may also need to remove~/Library/Preferences/Logic/com.apple.logic.pro

May 22, 2012 8:17 AM in response to CCTM

CCTM I reinstalled OS X. Making a new user account will do little to help. At this point though I am willing to try anything. Either that or my money back. I wish I got as far into boot process before crash as Dr Duff. As it is I don't even get an error. Its like a kernel panic that doesn't crash the whole machine.

May 22, 2012 8:15 AM in response to plsfixit

Hi

Trying Logic with a new (additional) User Account would help to identify any issues with your current User Account (ie Logic might work OK, pointing to the User a/c as the source of the problem), or show that there is some other issue with the installation as a whole.

Takes 2 minutes to try.

CCT

Is anyone else having crash on startup issues for the boxed version of logic pro studio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.