Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from the Ipad to a portable recipt printer (BlueTooth / Airprint?)

we are using the IPad devices without power.

we need a printer to rint a recipt from a Ipad to a portable printer.

The printer ideally wants to be a portable recipt printer working off a car battery that has a roll of paper.

Does this have to be done on an airprint ? or could we use any BlueTooth device.

If we cant find a suitable device we will have to look at other tablet devices as printing is crytical for the project..

There will not be a wifi network available !

Cheers Andrew

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 1:16 AM

9 replies

Apr 4, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Netspot

The printer had to be AirPrint compatible to print from an iPad.

This site contains the list of AirPrint compatible printers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

Not sure if there is one there that will run off a 12 volt battery in a car. But if there is no 12 volt capable printer you could install a power converter the convert the 12 volt car power to 110 volt ac current. Some vehicles now come with apogee converter and 110v outlet already installed.

Apr 4, 2012 7:22 AM in response to Netspot

This question sure comes up a lot. And right now there is no real good solution for the truck bound service guy to print his invoice or whatever they need to do. The pad is such a great portable device.....

There are a fair number of portable printers floating around. One of these days one of those manufacturers is going to see the potential market, and adapt one to work on a wifi or adhoc wifi basis with AirPrint.

He will sell a bunch of those.

Apr 17, 2012 4:14 AM in response to Netspot

I have the same dilema.... Invoicing on the go... have an app for that (INVOICE2GO) but cannot print whilst out....

My only solution is to create my invoices, get to my first customer (same one every day)..... (I delivery fruit and veg) and buy an airprint printer and keep it on their premises and print the other invoices from there......

CRAP or what...... if I knew all this before, would have just purchased and NETBOOK........ ( and there's me with a 64GB/WIFI that cannot print "portable" :-)

If STEVE JOBS was still here, I am sure this would not be an issue any more !!!!! :-(

R.I.P. Fella !!

Apr 17, 2012 5:58 AM in response to amitgokani

CRAP or what...... if I knew all this before

Yea, that's called doing your homework. Having used Macs and other Apple devices since 1984, I am pretty sure that Steve Jobs couldn't give a rats assets for your little botique nitch market problem. Apple offers the big solutiions. These are the kinds of things that he left to 3rd party developers to figure out and make an honest dollar peddling to the nitch markets of the world.

But as an idea for a solution, is there the possibilty that you could do what Apple does in the Apple Stores, email the receipts to folks? Apple hasn't printed an in store receipt for me in years.

User uploaded file

Jul 1, 2013 11:17 AM in response to Netspot

I found a way to set up a mobile printer to work with iPad, but it requires you have an iPad with the mobile hotspot feature. I've created a parts list and a youtube video to help you get it set up.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link

They can be found here:

http://makethisstuffwork.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-set-up-mobile-printer-to-wo rk.html

<Edited by Host>

Oct 7, 2013 8:58 PM in response to Netspot

The only printer to go with is a certified bluetooth ios device. There are two printers the imz220 (2") and the imz320 (3").

Once you have one of these, you can use one of two apps..

Mobi Print - Good for printing invoices, PDF's, or images..or just a manual receipt

Invoiceasap - uses to connect to quickbooks and can make invoices and store them

both of these apps work bluetooth and with ios devices.

Printing from the Ipad to a portable recipt printer (BlueTooth / Airprint?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.