Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is iMovie so slow?

im making a short film, it working fine yesterday, when i tried to edit it this morning it froze repeatedly when trying to edit clips and taking forever to drag and move things about. I haven't added anything new since yesterday... what happened overnight?! HELP. Many thanks, Jess

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 3:27 AM

17 replies

Aug 19, 2017 3:07 PM in response to Klaus1

On Mac Operator System is different to PC operator system.

Mac OS bake whole over and over on during

Trimmings video clips is heavy load more.

PC OS is data on other drives during trimmings Mac OS does not.

That is why you need 50 GB's space free.

Sound like small GB's mean small tap of data

Large GBs mean big tap of data.

I am MAC and I still use PC for trimmings video clips.

Apr 5, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Klaus1

erm sorry im not very technical 😟

its a macbook pro, bought this year, OS X version 10.7.2 processor 2.4 Ghz 1.5 intel

398 GB free of 499

iMovie 11 version 9.4.0

movie wise, there are LOTS of video clips recorded from my camera, quick time movie clips, but it could handle it fine the night before. I closed all runnning programmes, and made sure i had enough space.

Any advice? Many thanks 🙂

Jun 8, 2012 9:12 AM in response to Jcoupe

Hey Jcoupe, did ya find a solution to your slow i movie? i ve got the same issue here with a bran new mac book pro... working on a 25 min. project... all HD ! with around 40 min. of events... did cut a lot of the unwanted event sections and it did help a lot but it stil very slow. to slow for the price and capability of this machine !!! i was working with a 600 $ toshiba of 2 years and the movie editing was faster with it... much faster... I do like my machine but have to say my come back to mac as left me cold and wet for now... please let me know if you find a remedy to the problems.

Thanks.

fredo

Jun 8, 2012 10:15 PM in response to Jcoupe

Hi

Several things can do this

• HD-material takes much more power to be processed

• if Hard Disk is filling up

• lot's of icons on DeskTop (YES strange but reported to matters)

• other processes running in back-ground - energy savers, frame savers, spotligt search, TIME MACHINE, File Vault, etc - I turn all OFF

TO GET IT TO WORK SLIGHTLY FASTER

• Minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-Up hard disk

• No other programs running in BackGround e.g. Energy-Saver

• Don’t let HD spin down or be turned off (in Energy-Save)

• Move hard disks that are not to be used to Trash - To be disconnected/turned off

• Goto Spotlight and set the rest of them under Integrity (not to be scanned)

• Set screen-saver to a folder without any photo - then make an active corner (up right for me) and set pointer to this - turns on screen saver - to show that it has nothing to show

• And let Mac run on Mains - not just on battery

AND - Creating a New User-Account - Log into this - and run iMovie - made my iMovie fast as New and for a specific project with a deadline - then this can help a lot.

Yours Bengt W

Apr 7, 2013 8:10 PM in response to lori1130

Unfortunately for me, this was not a durable fix. In the end, I upgraded my System Software to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and iMovie '11 (version 9.0.8), and things have worked great since then. I was previously running OS X 10.6, and my computer (2008 MacBook Pro) was crashing a lot. The entire system is much more stable now.

Good luck.

Apr 8, 2013 5:33 AM in response to mfaasse

I had already upgraded my system to OS X 10.8 and imovie 11. That's when things started to go slow for me. My whole computer used to be lighting fast booting up and closing down too, but not any more. It slowed my whole computer down. I am wondering if that means I need more RAM. I don't know much of anything about computers. I have a OS X 10.8.3, 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i5 processor and 4GB memory. It's an early 2011 MacBook Pro.

why is iMovie so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.