Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the iCloud appleID?

I have changed my appleID for iTunes and it isn't updating on my iCloud. Is there a way to upset it?

Apple TV

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 6:37 AM

When you say "changed" what exactly do you mean? Did you change the primary email address for the AppleID at https://appleid.apple.com/

Or, did you create a new AppleID to use in iTunes?

If you did the former, then you will need to delete the iCloud account on your iOS device and then add it back with the new email address/password.

If you did the former, you cannot do anything other than create a wholly new iCloud account with that new AppleID - you will also need to pick a new @me.com address to use with the new iCloud account.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2012 6:37 AM in response to lstrube

When you say "changed" what exactly do you mean? Did you change the primary email address for the AppleID at https://appleid.apple.com/

Or, did you create a new AppleID to use in iTunes?

If you did the former, then you will need to delete the iCloud account on your iOS device and then add it back with the new email address/password.

If you did the former, you cannot do anything other than create a wholly new iCloud account with that new AppleID - you will also need to pick a new @me.com address to use with the new iCloud account.

Apr 4, 2012 7:12 AM in response to lstrube

You should not lose anything - it will just reset the proper association of your iCloud account and your AppleID account. Once you go to set up the iCloud account with the "new" AppleID, Apple's system will see that the new email is actually tied to the same pre-exisiting AppleID account. Since that AppleID account already has an iCloud account associated with it, it is really no different than if you were setting up your iCloud account on a new or different iOS device.

It is just a means of re-associating the iCloud account on your iOS device with the proper AppleID email address and password.

Sep 20, 2013 9:38 AM in response to lstrube

I'm in a similar situation, I changed my Apple ID/primary email as the original email address I used is no longer valid. This was fine until I got a new phone today and restored it from a backup.

I cannot connect to iCloud on my phone as it has the old Apple ID inserted. I have tried to delete it but this prompts me to log in to iCloud (using the old Apple ID) to turn off find my iphone. Obviously if I enter my password and try to log in it tells me that my Apple ID is invalid.

I'm stuck in this circle and can't find a solution! Please help me Apple!

Mar 24, 2014 7:27 AM in response to MVP loves Apple

To change the iCloud ID you have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iDevice, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. If you don't know the password for your old ID, or if it isn't accepted, and your old ID is an earlier version of your current ID, go to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

Mar 24, 2014 7:57 AM in response to MVP loves Apple

Sometimes there is a slight delay between recreating your old ID and being able to use your current password to turn off Find My iPad. Assuming you are running iOS 7, and that your old ID was an earlier version of your current ID, and you recreated your old ID from your current ID, this should work for you. Make sure you change both the primary email address and ID name back to your old ID.

Mar 24, 2014 8:30 AM in response to MVP loves Apple

That may be why it isn't working. If Find My iPad isn't working properly it may not be able to unregister the service on your iPad regardless of the password used. You may want to make an appointment with the Genius bar at a nearby Apple store and have them take a look at it. For what it's worth, this is Apple's support article on this issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5223. You have been trying to use the 3rd solution on this article (the first two rarely, if ever, work).

Mar 24, 2014 8:47 AM in response to MVP loves Apple

If the iTunes store isn't working, try going to Settings>iTunes & App Store, tap the ID, sign out, then sign back in. You may also want to try your iPad on a different wifi network to see if you're having networking issues. Try, for example, going to My Apple ID on your iPad. This will determine whether or not you can open a secure website.

If multiple problems continue to persist on your iPad you may need to restore it. However, if you're running iOS 7 with Find My iPad enabled, you won't be able to restore it without turning off Find My iPad unless you force it into recovery mode to do so (see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808). This will erase all data on the iPad so you would have to restore an existing backup after restoring it, if you have one. Also, if you purchased it from a previous owner, you may encounter activation lock, which will require the ID and password used to originally activate the iPad unless the former owner has removed it from their account. If you don't have this, the iPad will not reactivate and will be rendered useless.

If you have a recent backup, and you are the only owner of your iPad, you can try forcing it into recovery mode to restore it. Your other option of course would be to contact Apple support for assistance to see if they have any suggestions.

How can I change the iCloud appleID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.