Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture hangs upon quitting

It doesn't happen all of the time, but often enough to make me want to post an inquiry here. I can't pinpoint a reason, but upon quitting, Aperture starts to go through its saving and updating preview process, but never completes it. The progress bar makes it a portion of the way and everything appears to be running still, but it never finishes. I've even let the process run over night, but in the moring it is still in the same spot. I have to manually force the application to quit. It tells me that all of my edits will be lost, but upon opening the application the next time, that doesn't seem to be the case. Still, having to force quit is a bit unnerving, especially when I have to do it consistently. Is there any data on this problem? What could be causing this?

Macbook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 7:29 AM

The most common reasons for this are either a corrupted library or a corrupted image that you recently imported, and Aperture is not able to build a preview.

Thy the Aperture Library First Aid as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Start with repairing permissions, then repairing the library. If that does not help, try to remember which images you imported last and inspect the previews - see if one of thoses looks corrupted,

Post back, if repairing the library does not help.

Regards

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2012 7:29 AM in response to macorin

The most common reasons for this are either a corrupted library or a corrupted image that you recently imported, and Aperture is not able to build a preview.

Thy the Aperture Library First Aid as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Start with repairing permissions, then repairing the library. If that does not help, try to remember which images you imported last and inspect the previews - see if one of thoses looks corrupted,

Post back, if repairing the library does not help.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 6, 2012 8:48 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

Well, I tried repairing the permissions and then the database. I can't say yet whether or not it did anything, because I didn't always experience the problem that I was describing.

That said, when I repaired the permissions, it went through its routine and nothing. Upon repairing the database, it did recover one file. Oddly enough it was a video file which had been deleted weeks, if not months earlier. I still had that video file stored outside of Aperture, so I went ahead and deleted it again from Aperture. So far everything seems to be running fine, but only time will tell. I'll post back if I start to experience problems again.

Thanks,

Mac

Apr 6, 2012 9:28 AM in response to léonie

Speaking of a working backup, I do have all of my images stored and kept as referenced images. I also have the masters backed up in multiple locations. I also have a vault of my library stored on an external disk and I have that vault backed up in multiple locations. I am assuming that should an issue occur, I could just use the vault to get my library back? I've always been a little confused as to how the vault works. Let's say I completely lost my Aperture Library. Could I just open the vault to restore the library to full working condition? My confusion lies in the fact that I have a referenced library, so I am assuming that the vault only stores information about the masters, and not the masters themselves. If I were to lose my library or something were to happen, would I have to first load all of my masters again and then open the vault? Would I load the masters, reference them and then open the vault, or would I just open the vault and it would take care of everything?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2012 9:45 AM in response to macorin

I also have the masters backed up in multiple locations. I also have a vault of my library stored on an external disk and I have that vault backed up in multiple locations.

That should suffice, if you keep your vault up to date.

From the Vault you can restore the Aperture Library - everything cointained in the .aplibrary package. The referenced masters outside the package you will have to restore yourself, if they need restoring too. If you have to restore them to a different location - maybe because a drive failed - you will have to reconnect the Aperture library with the referenced masters using the "File -> Locate Referenced Files" command.

Regards

Léonie

Aperture hangs upon quitting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.