Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac wants to talk to dead Mac "There was a problem connecting to the server"

Got a new iMac - it's great. However, when I start up, it still wants to talk to my long-gone Mac Pro (see message below). I have to click "OK" about a half-dozen times as it reappears.

This message will also come up when I open my Livescribe Desktop software.

Is there a simple way to track the source of this, and make the iMac "forget" its dead descendant?

Thanks!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 8:13 AM

Check your login items.

2 replies

Apr 4, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry - I wanted to clck "helped me" AND "solved my question, because it certainly did.

I had mistakenly thought that checking a login item eliminated it from opening at startup; WRONG - it just "hides" it.

I got rid of all of the "vestage" items (stuff from old Mac that cannot be located now, with the "!" symbol to the right of it's title), and now I restart unmolested.

Thank you, Linc!

New Mac wants to talk to dead Mac "There was a problem connecting to the server"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.